All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: External 3D display on ASUS G74
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 17:11 

My ASUS G74 has a sticker on it that states:
"nvidia 3DTV PLAY"

So I searched around the nvidia site and found that the ACER GD245 HQ is compatible.

So... I bought an ACER GD245 HQ and an nvidia 3D Glasses Kit

But I canot get it to work.

The Display works as a Display and the Emitter is working but still no 3D.

Everything seem to point to the fact that I 'NEED' to "Make sure you are also using a dual-link DVI cable to connect from the LCD to your GPU. Your LCD manufacturer should have included this cable in the original factory box."

I did get one... but I only have HDMI out on my Laptop so I have nowhere to plug it.

Connecting the laptop from HDMI to Display HDMI or Laptop HDMI to Display DVI results in errors that I have not connected it right.

I cannot select 120 HZ in any display mode/resolution.

If the Laptop supports External 3D then has to output 120HZ via the HDMI (as it is the 'only' output)?

Have I just wasted $400.00 on a monitor and glasses that will not work on the G74?

If so, what does the sticker "nvidia 3DTV PLAY" on the Laptop mean?

Post subject: Re: External 3D display on ASUS G74
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 23:56 
Site Admin

Nvidia offers two ways of stereoscopic 3D compatibility:
- 3D Vision which is for 3D-capable monitors and projectors
- 3DTV Play which is mostly for 3D HDTVs, but also works on other HDMI 1.4 3D-capabl devices

On your laptop it says 3DTV Play compatible, meaning that you can connect the laptop to an external 3D HDTV, 3D monitor or 3D projector that has and HDMI 1.4 interface supporting stereoscopic 3D. This does not actually support 120Hz refresh rate and are limited to 1080p 24Hz 3D mode or 720p 50/60Hz 3D mode.

Unfortunately the Acer GD245HQ 3D monitor that you've got is intended to be used with 3D Vision only on desktop computers or laptops that have a Dual-Link DVI output capability. This monitor does not feature HDMI 1.4 3D support, so you will not be able to use it in stereo 3D mode with the laptop, the newer version of the monitor GN245HQ for example does also have support for HDMI 1.4.

I know it is a bit confusing, but it could help if you've first asked here before getting the display, as now it is a bit late to do something, unless you find a friend to sell the monitor and get an new one that has support for 3D over HDMI 1.4 as well...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 01:59 

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I had kind of come to the same conclusion but I was hoping that I was wrong and it would all work.

So, just to check.

1) The Laptop 'does' support 3D via the HDMI (1.4) out (hence the "3DTV PLAY" logo) - but the monitor does not support 3D 'in' via its HDMI input?

2) The monitor does support 3D (and will work with the glassses and emitter) but needs an nvidia graphincs card with a 'dual-link' DVI output to get the signal to it?

So I need to either:
Buy a full on '3DTV' that supports the 3D output from the laptop from this list (and use the glasses that came with the TV) http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html - Am I strictly limited to these TVs or can I just buy any TV that has "3D over HDMI 1.4" (assuming there are TVs that are not on that list that have the feature)?

OR
Updgrade the graphics card in my Desktop to an nvidia that has the 'dual-link' DVI output (like a 'full' GeForce GTX 560) and use that with my current monitor and glasses?

Before I make another mistake, can I ask if I can use an nvidia that supports "3D Vision" (like the GeForce GTX 560) or do I need one that also supports "3D Vision Surround" (like theGeForce GTX 560 Ti)

Thanks

All these various nvidia 3D terms and incompatibilities are doing my head in.... 3D Vision, 3D Vision Surround, 3DTV PLAY

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 08:01 
Site Admin

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

The list of 3D HDTVs compatible with 3DTV Play will work for sure, if it is not on the list it will most likely also work, worst case scenario you'd have to use an EDID override driver to tell 3DTV Play you actually have one of the monitors that is officially compatible, though in some rare cases even this might not work.

3D Vision is for a single 3D monitor setup, and 3D Vision Surround is for three 3D displays working together. You should be fine with a either GTX 560 or GTX 560 Ti with a single monitor, though I'd recommend going for a faster GPU like the Ti version since when you play in stereoscopic 3D mode the extra performance from the video card can always be utilized in order to get higher framerate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 09:32 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D Bloody = Legend :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D