All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D Laptops Worth it?
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 18:27 

I know so many of these kinds of threads have been posted already, but please be patient with me.

I am a high school senior, looking to upgrade a crappy, slow, crashy, Dell Inspiron 1525 to something better for college.
I was very interested in 3D laptops, but now I don't know whether they're worth it.
What I want my new laptop to be able to have/do is have 1920x1080 pixels, play blu-ray videos very well, play 3D blu-ray well, write to blu-ray, and have very nice graphics overall. I will mainly be using the laptop to download stuff, watch HD movies/play blu-ray, and browse the web. And homework, of course ;)

I've heard that 3D laptops can mess up the quality of 2D blu-ray movies. And of course, they are very expensive, and I'm looking to stay under $1500. I know there's Dell XPS 17, Sony Vaio F Series, Toshiba Qosmio, and I'm leaning towards Dell's XPS 17, mainly because of familiarity and price point. Can anyone weigh in on whether Dell's 3D is worth it for what I want out of laptops, and whether 3D truly interferes with playing regular blu-ray?

Post subject: Re: 3D Laptops Worth it?
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2012, 20:48 
Site Admin

If you do not plan on playing games in general, and especially in stereo 3D mode on the laptop, that gives you more options as gaming-capable laptops with stereoscopic 3D displays can be really expensive, especially if you want to have a good experience.

There are no problems with the quality or resolution of 2D blu-rays when you are watching them in 2D on a 3D-capable laptop, there however can be some limitations when you are watching a 3D Blu-ray movie on a 3D-capable laptop depending on the type of 3D technology used. With active 3D technology you get the full native resolution of the display in 3D mode, with passive 3D (FPR 3D) display you get half vertical resolution and with an autostereoscopic 3D solution you are getting lower horizontal and vertical lower resolution in stereo 3D mode.

I'd suggest you go for an active 3D solution with Sony Vaio F Series probably offering the best 3D display of all active 3D solutions I've seen so far, however with it you might trouble fitting within the $1500 budget.

Profile WWW