All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D Vision on a Laptop. My First Questions.
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 13:40 

I just got a Laptop with 120Hz screen an internal emitter, but I'm waiting for glasses to come. I do have some questions though so I'm ready for this new technology.

-I hear 3D vision has an issues with 1080p24 movies, resulting in 3:2 pulldown, since screen is 120Hz so each eye gets 60Hz instead of 48Hz. Is there a fix for that, or maybe some way to force 96Hz refresh rate to laptops Monitor?

-What known quality player software allow 3D formats SBS/OverUnder and the such? AFAIK mpc-hc and the KMplayer which are the ones i prefer do not support them. I think Nvidia player, sView freeware and Stereoscopic Player do these things, but I'm looking for an everyday use player to include them, not one that i would use every once in a while...

-Since the emitter is internal, can i use it and output to any screen via the Video-OUT? I mean OK you can already view 3D content on the laptops screen, but can i also connect to an external CRT 100/120Hz Monitor or a 100+Hz TV and watch 3D there as well using the laptops internal emitter?

Cause i got an OLD 15" CRT and an old 29" LG 100Hz TV. Don't know if any of them is worth it though. CRT is small and i'm not sure if it has the required refresh rate, and the TV may be 2x50Hz since it features PiP (Picture in Picture).

I Would really appreciate any answers that will help me take this to next help, so thank you in advance :)

Post subject: Re: 3D Vision on a Laptop. My First Questions.
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 16:21 
Site Admin

With 3D Vision you are not limited to only specific resolutions and refresh rates in 3D mode as you would be with the HDMI 1.4 interface that has some specific limitations to what resolutions and refresh rates are being supported for 3D content. So you can for example play the 3D movie in 100Hz (50Hz per eye) and not having to stick to 120Hz (60Hz per eye), custom resolutions and refresh rates might also work,depending on the type of display you are using, so you can also try these...

Unfortunately there is no 3D-capable alternative with similar features as the mpc-hc and the KMplayer offer, the best there is is pretty much the Stereoscopic Player that the 3D Vision video Player is based on, but it is focusing mostly on the 3D support side and not on functionality or the interface, so you may find a lot of useful things found in MPC or KMP missing here. Going to something like PowerDVD 11 Ultra or TMT5 may offer you a bit less stereo 3D-related features supported, but will offer a more user-friendly interface for 3D video playback and also will bring Blu-ray 3D movie support.

You might be able to use the built-in emitter with an external CRT monitor over a VGA port (if the laptop has it), but if this works you would need to place the laptop somewhere near the CRT monitor with the emitter facing you, so that the glasses will be able to sync up with it... and that is not very comfortable. I haven't tried if ti will work since I haven;t used a CRT monitor for a while and don't own such anymore. The 100Hz TV however is not an option, you can use a 3D HDTV over the HDMI interface, but you need a 3D-capable TV set and those 100Hz refresh rate TVs are not 3D capable and the 100Hz there do not mean that the TV can have 100Hz input... marketing gone wrong and confusing people interested into 3D, thinking their old TV sets would work like a high refresh rate monitor, but they will not. Have in mind that if using a 3D HDTV you will not be using the built-in emitter or the 3D Vision glasses with it, you will be using the TV's emitter and the glasses that are made for that specific brand of 3D HDTVs.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 21:39 

Bloody wrote:
With 3D Vision you are not limited to only specific resolutions and refresh rates in 3D mode as you would be with the HDMI 1.4 interface that has some specific limitations to what resolutions and refresh rates are being supported for 3D content. So you can for example play the 3D movie in 100Hz (50Hz per eye) and not having to stick to 120Hz (60Hz per eye), custom resolutions and refresh rates might also work,depending on the type of display you are using, so you can also try these...

How may I play a movie in 100Hz or 96Hz, without setting custom resolutions and refresh rates?

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no 3D-capable alternative with similar features as the mpc-hc and the KMplayer offer, the best there is is pretty much the Stereoscopic Player that the 3D Vision video Player is based on, but it is focusing mostly on the 3D support side and not on functionality or the interface, so you may find a lot of useful things found in MPC or KMP missing here. Going to something like PowerDVD 11 Ultra or TMT5 may offer you a bit less stereo 3D-related features supported, but will offer a more user-friendly interface for 3D video playback and also will bring Blu-ray 3D movie support.

I thought as much but hoped a well-known player could support those features. But in general its okay. There are not that many 3D movies anyway. Most movies are still in 2D.

Bloody wrote:
You might be able to use the built-in emitter with an external CRT monitor over a VGA port (if the laptop has it), but if this works you would need to place the laptop somewhere near the CRT monitor with the emitter facing you, so that the glasses will be able to sync up with it... and that is not very comfortable. I haven't tried if ti will work since I haven;t used a CRT monitor for a while and don't own such anymore. The 100Hz TV however is not an option, you can use a 3D HDTV over the HDMI interface, but you need a 3D-capable TV set and those 100Hz refresh rate TVs are not 3D capable and the 100Hz there do not mean that the TV can have 100Hz input... marketing gone wrong and confusing people interested into 3D, thinking their old TV sets would work like a high refresh rate monitor, but they will not. Have in mind that if using a 3D HDTV you will not be using the built-in emitter or the 3D Vision glasses with it, you will be using the TV's emitter and the glasses that are made for that specific brand of 3D HDTVs.

Oh so internal emitter can be used with external screens but the placement should be taken into consideration. I agree that this is somewhat an issue, but i was just wondering since the internal 17" laptop screen is small and not that big on quality if i had the option of an external screen without having to get the USB emitter. Cause i have order the glasses as a solo unit. I didnt get the glasses+emitter KIT.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012, 12:05 

therock003 wrote:
How may I play a movie in 100Hz or 96Hz, without setting custom resolutions and refresh rates?

I will be getting the 3D glasses soon, and this is the only question left unanswered to complete the basics on this technology.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 11:14 
Site Admin

When going through the 3D Vision Setup wizard you will be asked if you see any flicker, if you answer yes to this question you get the ability to force the 3D refresh rate to 100, 110 or 120Hz.

Other than that you may try to force a custom resolution with a 96Hz refresh rate from the Nvidia Control Panel and see if the 3D will work with it and if the software will be willing to use it, I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure if it will work in stereo 3D mode...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 15:29 

Thank you very much for the information. I Appreciate it 8-)