All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Passive 3D on external monitor without DisplayPort?
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 21:51 

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop - I'm pretty much aiming towards a modified Clevo P150HM type system sporting an ATI Radeon HD 6990M.

So far I'm set on having a nice 1080p 95% gamut screen plugged onto the laptop, but would like to have S3D available through an external monitor. I've tried S3D in the shop and prefer passive 3D.

What I'm wondering now is, will HDMI 1.4 do? Will dual link DVI do? Any suggestions for a passive monitor / TV to play games on? Do I not go with ATI and get nVidia instead?

Most sites seem quite confusing on just giving a plain answer - so if anyone has any advice at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Passive 3D on external monitor without DisplayPort?
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 22:42 
Site Admin

If you are going for a passive 3D solution, then you have no limitation about the interface. With passive 3D monitors you are actually outputting normal 1080p image with 60Hz, so there is no need for an increased bandwidth requirement. You can get this over a single-link DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort or even VGA port. Of course when considering to use it on a laptop, then it will most likely be over HDMI interface or VGA as these two interfaces are commonly available on almost all laptops.

The way that passive 3D works is that the 1080p image is split in horizontal lines where all the even and all the odd lines are forming the image for the left and right eye, so you don't need extra pixels and the side effect is that the resulting 3D image is with a lower vertical resolution. Also you should have in mind that passive 3D displays have very narrow vertical angles in order for you to be able to see the stereoscopic 3D effect properly...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 23:26 

Hello Bloody,

Thank you - that makes sense, actually :)

Do you have any recommendations at all regarding what setup to go for (maybe not so much monitor, but in greater lines..) when it comes to graphics card/technology to use? (ATI + HD3D / NVidia 3D vision)

After doing my research, I am aware this question is up to what games you are looking to play. But generally, I'm not too fussed - the bottom line is I'd like to run a nice laptop with the option of passable S3D on an external monitor - if you catch my drift.

Thanks again

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2011, 23:33 
Site Admin

If it is mostly for gaming in stereo 3D mode I would not suggest using a laptop with an external 3D monitor, but to go for a desktop PC instead. But if you do not plan to use stereo 3D that much and you need the mobility that a laptop offers then there isn't much choice.

Going for Nvidia would be important if you were planning to use an active 3D solution (it offers wider choice of monitors), but that is a bit more problematic when considering to use it with a laptop. With passive 3D solutions the video card isn't that important as you'd be using the iZ3D or TriDef 3D software for gaming in stereo 3D and they will work with AMD/ATI and Nvidia-based graphics.

Profile WWW