All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Windowed 3D in a laptop
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 02:51 

I use 3D vision with my desktop, but with a GeForce (GTX460) card, 3D Vision is only enabled in full screen mode. That's a problem for using 3D stereoscopic editing programs. I have to go in and out of 3D Vision to access the software controls. Windowed 3D Vision (i.e., where only part of the screen is 3D) is available with a Quadro card, and solves this problem. Now I am interested in a 3D laptop and would prefer one that allows windowed 3D. Here are my questions:

1) Do any of the current 3D laptops offer windowed 3D Vision; 2) If not, are manufacturers likely to start offering quadro M cards into laptops with windowed 3D Vision capability, or is that a longshot not worth delaying a purchase for; and 3) Do any of the passive polarized 3D laptops offer windowed 3D viewing?

By the way, there is a decent spreadsheet comparison of current and older 3D laptops at http://www.3dmovielist.com/3dlaptops.html#g73sw. Projectors and other equipment are also covered.

Mark

Post subject: Re: Windowed 3D in a laptop
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 15:03 
Site Admin

3D mode in a window is partially supported already in desktop GeForce cards, however it is only for games, not for professional apps. Mobile Quadro graphics and 3D Vision is something that seems reasonable for some high-end mobile workstation solutions, however the demand is not so high, so it may take quite a while before we see such a solution.

With passive solutions windowed 3D mode isn't a problem, the problem is that the 2D image around the stereo 3D windowed app will be kind of unusable while wearing the passive glasses as you will not be seeing the full 2D resolution of the display and that will make it harder to be used.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Windowed 3D in a laptop
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 22:03 

Thanks Bloody. :)