All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Asus VG278HE + Laptop w/ GTX 560M
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 16:40 

Hi,

I bought this monitor for the 3D capabilities (and I bought the Nvidia 3D vision 2 kit to use with it), but I have been running in circles trying to find out what the facts are about the setup I'm using. I have seen many conflicting answers in regards to using this monitor with my laptop (MSI GT683R). My laptop has HDMI, VGA, and ESATA outputs. Unfortunately I do not have a DVI output so this is where the problems start. Supposedly, this laptop's HDMI output is 3D compatible (according to MSI), but some sites say you CAN'T send 3D over HDMI, then there are others that say you CAN (the HDMI official specs say it is possible).

So, at the moment, I have the monitor hooked up via HDMI and the Nvidia panel enables the 3D Stereoscopic settings when I connect the monitor. No matter what I do, I cannot get the monitor to go to 120hz. Any combination of resolutions at 120hz (or really, any refresh rate over 60hz) make the monitor display "Out of range" error. In the Nvidia control panel, I've tried 3DTV and HDMI Checkerboard but it doesn't seem to change anything. The infrared emitter doesn't activate, the glasses won't sync. When I press the button on the emitter while viewing 3D content (split image visible to naked eye) it will turn the 3D effect on and off, but it doesn't appear as 3D while wearing the glasses.

Can anyone set me straight on the facts and help me work something out where I can watch movies or play games in 3D with this setup?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Asus VG278HE + Laptop w/ GTX 560M
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2014, 23:23 

you need to know what kind of 3D you want.
usually 3D video is from blu-ray and is 24p or 30p and is sent to your TV with the hdmi cable.
So we can consider HDMI like the "slow" 3D
There is an exception to that rule for 720p, because this lower resolution allows 60fps on hdmi, but this considered as low resolution and rarely wanted by users.

3D "gaming" is coming from computer display card, and gamers want high refresh rate (like 60 fps) and then for 3D, you got 120 fps. Computers are connected to monitor using VGA or DVI , this is the only way to get high fps.
It is the "fast" 3D.

most TV and monitors are not going higher than 100 fps, so if you need fast 3D, you need a special monitor.
the Asus VG278HE goes up to 144 fps but since this is fast 3D you need a dual link DVI connection, HDMI is for slow 3D only. This monitor has hdmi 1.4, so you can also use it for slow 3d on the hdmi port.
So you can watch slow 3D on your monitor by connecting a 3d blu-ray player with HDMI, or fast 3D by connecting a computer with DVI.

Now the second problem is not only to send 3d to the screen, but also to get the glasses synchronized with.
The monitor has no way to control glasses, so the blu-ray solution will not work, unless the blu-ray player has its own emitter.
You choose NVIDIA 3D vision 2, that is made for the fast 3D (for slow 3D, Nvidia has another product called 3DTV Play)
Nvidia 3D vision 2 is fast 3D and is incompatible with regular 3D TV and so must use its own emitter and 3D Glasses, a 120 Hz capable display and dual-link DVI.

Post subject: Re: Asus VG278HE + Laptop w/ GTX 560M
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2014, 17:47 

nosys70 wrote:
you need to know what kind of 3D you want.
usually 3D video is from blu-ray and is 24p or 30p and is sent to your TV with the hdmi cable.
So we can consider HDMI like the "slow" 3D
There is an exception to that rule for 720p, because this lower resolution allows 60fps on hdmi, but this considered as low resolution and rarely wanted by users.

Well, I want all kinds of 3D. :)

I don't have a tv though, I have an Asus monitor hooked up to my laptop. My issue is, I want to watch video and game in 3D, but am having issues with both (can't watch anything in 3D, game or otherwise)

Quote:
3D "gaming" is coming from computer display card, and gamers want high refresh rate (like 60 fps) and then for 3D, you got 120 fps. Computers are connected to monitor using VGA or DVI , this is the only way to get high fps.
It is the "fast" 3D.

The GTX560M is supposedly 3D compatible so I don't think the issue is the card.

Quote:
most TV and monitors are not going higher than 100 fps, so if you need fast 3D, you need a special monitor.
the Asus VG278HE goes up to 144 fps but since this is fast 3D you need a dual link DVI connection, HDMI is for slow 3D only. This monitor has hdmi 1.4, so you can also use it for slow 3d on the hdmi port.
So you can watch slow 3D on your monitor by connecting a 3d blu-ray player with HDMI, or fast 3D by connecting a computer with DVI.

You mean, I can't watch the 3D content on the monitor itself? Even if it's this "slow 3D" you refer to?

Quote:
Now the second problem is not only to send 3d to the screen, but also to get the glasses synchronized with.
The monitor has no way to control glasses, so the blu-ray solution will not work, unless the blu-ray player has its own emitter.
You choose NVIDIA 3D vision 2, that is made for the fast 3D (for slow 3D, Nvidia has another product called 3DTV Play)
Nvidia 3D vision 2 is fast 3D and is incompatible with regular 3D TV and so must use its own emitter and 3D Glasses, a 120 Hz capable display and dual-link DVI.

So is it impossible to use an HDMI->Dual DVI adapter and set the monitor to 120hz in a custom resolution setup on Windows? I currently have an HDMI->Single DVI and the monitor says its the wrong cable for 120hz when I set the custom resolution. I'm hoping if I use a Dual DVI adapter it might let me use the HDMI cable and not be able to discern the difference.