All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: VG278 get dim in 3D mode
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 04:15 

Hello and greetings,

Is it normal for VG278.. the 27'in 3d monitor to get dim and lose brightness when it enters 3d Mode?
Is there away to prevent that?

I have once had the issue of monitor showing the 2 images (3D type) without the monitor being in 3d mode and IR emitter turning on.. so i wonder if i can repeat the event while having the IR emitter working.

Post subject: Re: VG278 get dim in 3D mode
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 12:03 
Site Admin

Yes, it is normal for active 3D monitors to get their image become darker when they are in stereo 3D mode.

With lightboost-capable monitors such as the Asus VG278H you are also able to forge Lightbost to be enabled even in 2D mode. The Lightboost technology is essentially strobing backlight, and that means the backlight is switched off when the frames are being redrawn, so the perceivable brightness level is reduced significantly.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 00:57 

Bloody wrote:
Yes, it is normal for active 3D monitors to get their image become darker when they are in stereo 3D mode.

With lightboost-capable monitors such as the Asus VG278H you are also able to forge Lightbost to be enabled even in 2D mode. The Lightboost technology is essentially strobing backlight, and that means the backlight is switched off when the frames are being redrawn, so the perceivable brightness level is reduced significantly.

Thank you very much for the reply!

I've been uncertain because two people at geforce said that brightness should actually increase when your monitor is in 3D mode.
Just to clarify... When speaking of dimness, I actually mean that the monitor itself dims, not the glasses blocking light.

2 quotes from

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 15#4084272

"I think brightness automatically maxes out when 3d is enabled, whereas my default setting is fairly low (contrast is below 100 too, not sure exactly what it's set to and I'm not home to check). So if anything, my screen gets much brighter when 3d goes on."

and

" It should almost double in brightness. "

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 11:22 
Site Admin

Yes, the brightness level maxes out when the monitor enters 3D mode i order to compensate for the light blocked by the lenses of the glasses and since you normally have the brightness level set to lower levels it is easily noticeable. However that was true for the 3D monitors prior the release of the newer 3D Lightboost models like the VG278H in question. Because of the way the Lightboost technology works by switching off the backlight while a frame is being drawn of the display the perceived brightness is actually lower than when the monitor is in 2D mode.

You can read more details here: http://3dvision-blog.com/8604-more-about-using-the-3d-lightboost-technology-in-2d-and-3d-mode/

Profile WWW