All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: ASUS VG27AH Work with Nvidia vision 3d?
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 18:11 

Hello all,

I was looking into getting an Nvidia 3d capable display and joining the 21st century. I don't really want to spent $600 for even $450 on a monitor/kit and all. I've been looking at passive 3D monitors as they seem to be a bit cheaper. However, I've noticed that passive 3d monitors seems to have next to no official Nvidia support. I was wondering if anyone here has tried the ASUS VG27AH with NVidia 3d. If so, may I ask:

Does it work native?
Do I need a 3d emitter kit still?
If it isn't native can I use the EDID Override method?
Is there a better option?

Post subject: Re: ASUS VG27AH Work with Nvidia vision 3d?
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2013, 22:39 
Site Admin

As far as passive 3D monitors support for Nvidia, only a few models are being supported officially from Zalman and Acer. They go under a special program called "Optimized for GeForce", though it is essentially the same functionality of 3D Vision, but for passive 3D displays with Row Interleaved output instead of frame sequential one.

The good thing is that using EDID overrides from any of the compatible displays you should be able to make any passive 3D display work with as an official "Optimized for GeForce" product, I've written a detailed guide how to do this, you can find it here: http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your-passive-3d-monitor-or-3d-hdtv-work-with-3d-vision/

There are no guarantees however that you will not have some sort of issue with some monitors, and I have no idea how will it work with the monitor model you've mentioned, but if you already have the monitor it won't hurt trying this method. The alternative is to use the DDD TriDef 3D software, this one will work for sure, but you will need to get a license, unless you get a passive 3D display that includes OEM license bundled.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 07:17 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have the monitor yet, I was considering getting one. I'll keep that in mind. Is the TriDef 3D good? Does it have any drawbacks compared to the EDID method?

EDIT: I just realized that the model I'm talking about (http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG27AH/) only has a single-link DVI connector. Do you know if dual-link is required for Nvidia 3D? Id rather stick with DVI if possible.

Thanks,
KBcool

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2013, 10:06 
Site Admin

Passive 3D monitors do not require as much bandwidth as active 3D ones, so no Dual-Link DVI is needed and there are no problems using HDMI to DVI adapters for them as they essentially transmit a normal 2D frame at 60Hz. The polarizing filter applied over the screen splits the display in odd and even lines with different polarization and these are seen by the left and right eye respectively when wearing the glasses. The side effect is that you get half vertical resolution per eye and the other drawback of passive 3D is the very narrow vertical viewing angle in the stereo 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2013, 00:56 

Cool, Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to try this monitor and see what I get.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2013, 21:57 

Bloody wrote:
As far as passive 3D monitors support for Nvidia, only a few models are being supported officially from Zalman and Acer. They go under a special program called "Optimized for GeForce", though it is essentially the same functionality of 3D Vision, but for passive 3D displays with Row Interleaved output instead of frame sequential one.

The good thing is that using EDID overrides from any of the compatible displays you should be able to make any passive 3D display work with as an official "Optimized for GeForce" product, I've written a detailed guide how to do this, you can find it here: http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your-passive-3d-monitor-or-3d-hdtv-work-with-3d-vision/

There are no guarantees however that you will not have some sort of issue with some monitors, and I have no idea how will it work with the monitor model you've mentioned, but if you already have the monitor it won't hurt trying this method. The alternative is to use the DDD TriDef 3D software, this one will work for sure, but you will need to get a license, unless you get a passive 3D display that includes OEM license bundled.

Are you saying that Nvidia 3D and DDD TriDef 3D actually turn a passive 3D monitor into an active 3D monitor by forcibly splitting the polarized image into a stereoscopic image?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 18:48 

I know this is an old topic, but I am very curious about this myself. I just bought a Toshiba Qosmio X70 laptop with the GeForce 770m GPU. I purchased this same monitor (Asus VG27AH) for use as an external 3D monitor. So I am all ready to get started and called NVidia to see if I needed to purchase their NVidia 3D Vision or their 3DTVPlay software, and their answer blew me away. Basically they told me that even though my monitor is 3D, comes with glasses and all, that it is NOT supported by their 3D software or their 3D Vision kit. Now admittedly I know NOTHING about 3D and this monitor is the first 3D capable device I have ever owned, along with the laptop. But apparently, according to NVidia phone tech support, this monitor is NOT listed as one that their 3D vision supports. Great!

Not sure if I should be pissed off at Asus for making a monitor without making it compatible with the output from, ya know, the BIGGEST GPU company in the world; if I should be pissed at NVidia for not supporting this monitor; or if (probably) I should be pissed off at myself for not having the knowledge in this area to so much as even think that something like this had to be checked for compatibility. Up until like thirty seconds ago, I thought that there was 3D emission from a PC or video card, monitors that receive and decode the signal, and finally glasses to see it with. I had absolutely NO CLUE that there were different formats and different approaches to rendering and receiving 3D. Makes me wonder if there weren't equally ignorant people in the late seventies who bought a Betamax and tried hammering in the VHS movies they purchased because they had no clue that there were two different formats!

Anyway, the answers from both companies seem a tad dodgy to me. I am not sure if I can get 3D now with this monitor, or, more likely, it seems that I can absolutely get 3D, just not the way NVidia designed their technology for it? Meaning it looks like I have to have the TV convert 2D to 3D? Though now sure how that is different than what NVidia does.

Oh, and now someone from Asus (on a second call) just informed me that my GeForce 770m GPU doesn't put out NVidia 3D Stereoscopic...whatever that means.

Can anyone help me sort this all out?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 12:37 

In case you really like bright, bold colours and need a thing that tends to make your iPhone stand out like you do, then that is your casing. The Silicon is of premium grade and doesn't really feel sticky inside your hands. Some users have reported issues of it collecting hyperlink and dirt, but that seems to become a larger dilemma for the black version. Lighter coloured versions are simpler to maintain clean.

http://www.career4now.com