3D Vision Blog - Forum
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/

Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBLEM
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2496
Page 1 of 7

Author:  Umut [ 29 Sep 2012, 13:59 ]
Post subject:  Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBLEM

Hi,
I can use this monitor with the acer inf driver, Nvidia 3d vision works. I set it to the frame sequential mode to make it work.
But there's a problem : The monitor shuts itself down after the 3d image mode is closed. Can we do something about it ?
I was using an Ati(Amd) hd5870 before and the monitor was getting into 3d image mode automatically without selecting an 3d mode from the monitor's osd menu. (With tridef)
But now, i'm using a Nvidia GTX680 and my monitor doesn't get into 3d mode automatically, plus there's a shutdown problem with nvidia 3d vision.
I think there must be an option to solve this with a modified driver, or software. This monitor can't be 100% incompatible with nvidia cards... Please help me, thanks.

Author:  Mikanoshi [ 07 Oct 2012, 18:09 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Have this problem too, S27A750D + Acer HN274H-B or ASUS VG278 EDID overrides = both force monitor to shut down when turning 3d off.
TriDef doesn't work in frame sequential mode (nvidia? displayport? SLI? whatever the reason...) and causes huge performance drops, so 3d Vision is the only way "it's meant to be played".

Author:  Umut [ 08 Oct 2012, 01:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Mikanoshi wrote:
Have this problem too, S27A750D + Acer HN274H-B or ASUS VG278 EDID overrides = both force monitor to shut down when turning 3d off.
TriDef doesn't work in frame sequential mode (nvidia? displayport? SLI? whatever the reason...) and causes huge performance drops, so 3d Vision is the only way "it's meant to be played".


Yes, tridef doesn't work in frame seq. mode with a nvidia card, also if you send frame seq. signal to the monitor with nvidia, it doesn't automatically change itself to 3d mode.
You have to select it manually via 3d menu. But, with an ati card, both is possible. We should do some research about it.
I think, with edid override, we can also use 3d vision/3d vision 2 glasses(including usb transmitter/receiver unit) with this monitor. It would be great if a 3d vision glasses user could try this for us.

Author:  Mikanoshi [ 08 Oct 2012, 01:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Umut wrote:
I think, with edid override, we can also use 3d vision/3d vision 2 glasses(including usb transmitter/receiver unit) with this monitor.

Are 3dv glasses better then samsung default glasses?
Currently 3d vision works fine for me, reducing FPS by 50% :) SbS with TriDef or FS with 3d Vision - performance drop is still that big.
Most likely it should be so, but built-in SbS 3D in Crysis 2 eats only 10% fps and looks good. SbS from TriDef eats 50-60%!

Author:  Umut [ 08 Oct 2012, 07:10 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

SBS isn't full 1080p, if u want full resolution in 3d, u should go for frame sequential 1920x1080 mode. Single gtx 680 is enough for me now. (At 1320mhz boost)
I have a little ghosting with samsung's own glasses, do you notice some ghost images near environmental objects ? It's not in every scene, in some scenes theres zero-ghosting.
Maybe 3d vision 2 glasses can perform better than it. As you can notice, if you turn 3d vision on, the monitor doesn't dim its backlight. You have to change to frame seq. mode to
make samsung glasses work.(but it dims the image) But it's still frame sequential while 3d vision is activated. So maybe we can get brighter images with a 3d vision 2 glasses kit.
Also the monitor won't close itself with 3d vision kit, because you aren't changing the monitor-side display mode. This is a second option for us if we won't be able to make samsung 3d mode fully functional.

Author:  Mikanoshi [ 08 Oct 2012, 12:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Umut wrote:
SBS isn't full 1080p, if u want full resolution in 3d, u should go for frame sequential 1920x1080 mode.

And theoretically SbS should be less demanding than FS, but it is not always true for TriDef... I downloaded profile for Borderlands 2 from their forum (not yet released) and fps drops from 80-120 to 25-40 :shock:

Umut wrote:
Single gtx 680 is enough for me now. (At 1320mhz boost)

I run 670 SLI (stock boost 1150MHz) and in some games even SLI is not enough, because they are poorly optimized even without 3d (e.g. in Borderlands 2 gpu usage of both cards drops below 50% sometimes while fps is not at its max at all), with 3d such games become unplayable.

Umut wrote:
I have a little ghosting with samsung's own glasses, do you notice some ghost images near environmental objects ?

Do you have "Response time" option set to Normal? Fast and Fastest produces much ghosting. With Normal it is barely visible or completely gone for me.

Umut wrote:
As you can notice, if you turn 3d vision on, the monitor doesn't dim its backlight. You have to change to frame seq. mode to make samsung glasses work.(but it dims the image) But it's still frame sequential while 3d vision is activated. So maybe we can get brighter images with a 3d vision 2 glasses kit.

I can live without 3D auto on :) Magic Angle can be changed in 3D mode, it has options that make picture darker or brighter.

Umut wrote:
Also the monitor won't close itself with 3d vision kit, because you aren't changing the monitor-side display mode. This is a second option for us if we won't be able to make samsung 3d mode fully functional.

If 3D quality in 3D vision glasses is better then they can be worth buying. Otherwise it's only a matter of convenience, I can press 3-5 buttons to turn 3D on and off, not a big deal :geek:

Author:  Umut [ 09 Oct 2012, 03:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Mikanoshi wrote:
Umut wrote:
I have a little ghosting with samsung's own glasses, do you notice some ghost images near environmental objects ?

Do you have "Response time" option set to Normal? Fast and Fastest produces much ghosting. With Normal it is barely visible or completely gone for me.



Yes, response time is set to normal, but there's still some ghosting in 3d games. Which refresh rate do you use with nvidia 3d vision ?
I've selected 120hz via setup wizard.

Author:  Mikanoshi [ 09 Oct 2012, 04:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Umut wrote:
Which refresh rate do you use with nvidia 3d vision ?

120hz via DisplayPort of course. Ghosting differs from game to game, e.g. in Borderlands 2 it is visible even with Normal setting, in BF3 everything is perfect :)

Author:  majnu [ 11 Oct 2012, 00:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

try the latest drivers that were released today and the updated physx files too.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articl ... -released/
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/downlo ... ivers.html

Author:  Mikanoshi [ 11 Oct 2012, 03:06 ]
Post subject:  Re: Samsung S27A950D 3d VISION(edid override) SHUTDOWN PROBL

Drivers won't solve the monitor shutdown problem, because it is not their problem at all, but a side effect of EDID override.

Page 1 of 7 All times are UTC + 2 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/