All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D Monitor compatible with retina MacBook Pro
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2013, 13:42 

Hello,

I am trying to set up my first 3-D system. I have a retina MacBook Pro, and I am looking for an external 3-D display that I can use with it to watch and edit 3-D videos. I will also be using it to view crystal structures of proteins in 3-D. I have read a lot of threads in forums online saying that Macs are not compatible with 3-D monitors. I am confused as to why this is the case. Could anyone please explain why? If there are compatible external 3-D displays, could you please recommend me some?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: 3D Monitor compatible with retina MacBook Pro
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 12:02 

it depends the program.
If your program is able to display stereoscopic in a way that is compatible with the usual method (Side by side or Top/bottom) , you simply
connect the laptop to a 3D TV with hdmi and force the 3D mode with the remote control of TV.
If you got a line interlaced 3d screen (LG, zalman) and your program support it, you need to purchase the screen with this feature.
The only drawback of this is you work at half resolution, but the advantage is your program does not need special 3D feature out of being able
to render both left and right view on the same screen.

If you want to use Frame packing (another standard way to display 3d on TV) , then you need your graphic card to support this mode.
This is usually the best mode, since it keeps full resolution, but it is not often found in 3D programs.
If you want to use proprietary mode (like the nvdia one), then you need the graphic card, drivers and hardware (usually a usb dongle to drive the Infrared remote controlled 3D shutter glasses).

So check the 3D modes available for display in your program and see if you can find hardware matching the requirements.