All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: A glutton for punishment
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 08:01 

I see ...

Well, after spending the night downloading all sorts of tests videos, fiddling with the settings all over the place, I have not moved forward.

The images in every video I see are too far apart and only rarely combine into a single 3d image. I did experiments also with the 2d to 3d function and I was surprised to see that that works pretty well!

Would it make more sense for me just to buy the Acer 3d laptop? Or does that also require hours of calibration and experimentation to work? And then in the end maybe not work?

God, I hate 3d ... ;)

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 14:24 

Sigh, my 3d self-torture campaign continues ...

Now nothing looks even remotely 3-d. I have experimenting with a variety of side-by-side videos from various sources.

this is what I do:

I open the video full-screen in PowerDVd or VLC Player or whatever. (the Nvidia player doesn't work for me, as my card is not supported and it inserts a static image into the player along with the two streams).

I can see two two clear left and right videos, right next to each other in the player.

I switch on the 3d mode on the tv for side by side.

Without the glasses I can see that the two streams now overlap a small amount in the middle. Maybe 15 percent of the total.

I put on the glasses and either turn them on or they turn themselves on and pretty much see the same thing, except darker, more contrast and one of the streams is somewhat lighter than the other, which I take that that one is supposed to be the ghost image. But they are nowhere even physically close to combining into a single image. The overlap is just not there.

Anyone?!!! Please have mercy on a newbie ...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 14:41 
Site Admin

Everything seems to be working fine now... the image apparently is displayed in 3D on the TV.

Have you ever had any trouble seeing a movie in 3D?

You can try with a game with the 3DTV Play software as well. If you have it installed it should be outputting 3D in frame packaged format and you don't need to switch to Side by Side mode manually on the TV. Try setting up the PowerDVD to use HDMI 1.4 output and play directly the movie on the TV...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 15:04 

Thanks for staying with me on this!

Ok, so I went into the PowerDVD 10 3d configuration. I don't see anything about HDMI 1.4 output anywhere.

I did set it to automatically treat 3d video as side by side. Interestingly, when I tried to play a side by side 3d movie it gave me an error message:

"Could not enable 3d playback. try choosing a different 3d display device."

Maybe finally a clue???

Regarding my past experience with 3d, no, I've never had a problem perceiving it before. My girlfriend has wandered in and out as I obsess over getting this work and tried it out too and sees the same thing I do. We've both been able to see 3d televsions working in the past with no problems.

So, what do you think about the 3d laptops that come with 3d installed at the factory? Is that a better solution than trying to force these two products (laptop, television) together? I can return this tv and just buy the Acer 3d laptop for the same price. Although I am ready to pay any price for something that will actually work out of the box ...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:03 
Site Admin

Well, making a 3D-ready laptop work should generally be easier. But then again it seem you are almost there, the TV should be ready to display 3D content already, so there is something small that is left to be done to make everything work properly. But it is a bit hard to guess what exactly it is remotely... ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:15 

Yes, indeed, this is a bad situation for remote troubleshooting ... but thank you for your efforts!

I have a friend who managed to get a PC and a 3d projector to work correctly after only four full days of working on it. He is stopping by the house tomorrow to have a look.

If he cannot fix it by tomorrow night, I will just return it to the store and get the laptop.

Really, this technology is just not ready for normal consumers who lack a technical background or an interest in becoming a hobbyist ... it's as if one needed to be a mechanic in order to buy an auto. But I guess it was like that in the early days of automobiles, too.

I can also place an ad here in Prague for anyone with expertise setting this up who hires out as a computing troubleshooter. In fact, I'll do that now and finally get some sleep.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: A glutton for punishment RESOLVED!
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 19:42 

Hi Mr. Bloody:

Well, we finally got it to work right!

My friend with the projector came over and got it working in 10 minutes, since he had gone through the same thing and knew all the tricks.

He had me download a copy of the Stereoscopic Player by 3dtv.at. That player lets you select the input and output format of the movies. We found that inputting a side-by-side as either side-by-side or top-and bottom and then outputting it as interleaved columns put together the 3d image correctly. We set the TV's 3d setting to view interleaved columns. The results were spectacular with everything we tested.

We also set the screen resolution to 1600x1200, which was also important.

I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling with this issue, as it's hard to find instructions on what parameters need to be adjusted. Although these specific parameters may not work for everyone, at least they will know what parameters to experiment with. In my case, I learned that a side-by-side need not be output in side-by-side to work. In fact, only interleaved columns worked.

Good luck on the blog and I look forward to reading your posts.