All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: A glutton for punishment
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 21:46 

Ok, I briefly gave up on the whole 3d thing but I am a glutton for punishment, so I am back again.

This is what I have in hand:

A Samsung LE40C750 3d -television with a pair of glasses it came with.

An Acer 5741G laptop with an NVidia 320M GeForce card.

An HDMI 1.3 cable.

NVidia support told me this setup would work, but who knows really?

Anyway, like all things 3d, it doesn't work for me. Plugged the laptop into the tv with the hdmi cable. Set the tv to side by side 3d. Cued up a side by side movie. Turned on and put on the glasses. Nothing remotely 3d.

So before I spend many many more hours trying to figure this out, can anyone tell me:

Will this setup in fact work? Do I need to do anything beyond what I have described? I've searched this forum and hours on google searches already and i can't find anything to answer this simple of a question -- its about more advanced topics.

If anyone can help me get this thing going, you will have my eternal gratitude!!! Otherwise, I guess I will return the TV and done what I should have done from the beginning: buy a laptop that has 3d installed at the factory, like the one Acer makes.

Cheers!

A.

Post subject: Re: A glutton for punishment
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 22:29 
Site Admin

When you play a Side by Side video from the laptop in Full screen and have the TV manually set to Side by Side mode it should work just fine... I mean the 3D effect should be there, but it may vary. Make sure that the glasses are charged and on, try with a few different videos. Do you see the image doubled or blurry on the screen when not watching through the shutter glasses?

You can alternatively try the 14-day trial of the 3DTV Play software from Nvidia together with the free 3D Vision Video player that you can download from Nvidia's website. This way the laptop will be outputting the video in a frame packaged format according to the HDMI 1.4 specs, so the TV should be able to auto-detect the content and automatically switch in 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 23:18 

Hi Mr. Bloody:

Thanks for the speedy response!

What I see on the TV in the video area is divided into three sections.

In the middle section, I see, say, a fish. Next to it, to the left, is another image of the same fish. The two images do not overlap or touch each other.

The right section is an extension of the video containing the fish on the right. The left section is an extension of the video containing the fish on the left.

When I put on the glasses I still see two fish, not combined into one.

Am I missing something?

I can try the download you suggest. I take my HDMI 1.3 cable is ok for that, as I noticed you mentioned 1.4 capabilities?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 23:41 

Well, I tried out the NVidia software with the same results, eg, doesn't work.

However, my graphics card, the 320M, is not listed as one that is supposed to work with it, so that could be it. The 320 for desktops is listed as a supported card.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 23:48 
Site Admin

Can you post a photo of what your screen looks like with a 3D video displayed on it?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:19 

Ok, I made one change, I turned off the laptop monitor and am using only the 3d tv now. This is the kind of basic stuff I just can't find anywhere in the documentation or on google searches: Which monitors should be on or off when I try this? I didn't even know you had to be running the video full-screen either.

Anyway, this is a screenshot with the only the 3d tv running, laptop monitor off. Very different from what I described before with the laptop monitor on. I am using the VLC player running full screen.

This is what it looks like without the glasses. And with the glasses exactly the same.

Thanks so much for your assistance thus far ...

Attachments:
flamenco.jpg [139.28 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:22 

Hold everything, the 3d mode turned itself off when I switched off the laptop monitor.

Ok, with the 3d back on its finally starting to get 3d!!!

Severe ghosting, but its a start ...

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:29 
Site Admin

Both Side by Side and with 3DTV Play are working now? For 3DTV Play you need to use the 3D Vision Video Player, but you can also download and try the latest version of PowerDVD...

Try with different video clips, getting more ghosting can be due to the 3D clip having a lot of separation for example.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:39 

Well, it sort of looks like 3d, like very badly done anaglyph with severe ghosting, the ghost image is at times almost as strong as the primary image.

I am unable to generate a true screenshot, when I do a screen capture and then paste it into a graphics program, the image pastes as if the screen was not in 3d mode, so you just seen the basic side-by-side pictures with no overlap. I can tell you the image looks similar to an anaglyph video, with the two images spaced too far apart ...

Anyway, I feel have made some progress.

I will experiment with some other videos and the Nvidia software. The tv also has some controls to adjust the 3d effect, I can experiment with those.

Do you know if there is any sort of guide for beginners attempting this sort of thing for the first time that provides a step by step instruction sequence that covers what has become obvious to more experienced people? Like monitor settings, resolutions, the full-screen requirement, etc.? I am wondering what other basic stuff I have wrong ...

Thanks much, the full-screen requirement info you gave me was priceless! I will keep trying with more configurations now.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:49 
Site Admin

There are already a lot of possible combination for 3D setups, so we all learn on the go with each different one... there is no universal solution or approach, it is just try and try again until you get everything working as it should be.

You won't be able to take a screenshot that will be 3D, you capture Side by Side image that can be viewed on another 3D setup. If you want to capture the level of ghosting on a image, then you need to take a picture through one of the lenses of the shutter glasses.

Profile WWW