All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LG 47LD950 3D TV
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2010, 22:36 

I have this TV and would be interested to hear other members' experiences of it. It is the only passive 3D TV available at the moment and works in the same way as the Zalman Trimon monitors, i.e. it has an xPol filter on the screen and the eyewear is the same as the RealD cinema glasses. It works extremely well, much better in many ways than the Zalman monitors, mainly because of its size, which results in a much larger "sweet spot" at normal viewing distances (around 2-3 metres). In fact the "spot" is more like 1.5 metre or so vertically at this viewing distance, and there is virtually no ghosting over this region. The glasses also let through a lot more light than shutter glasses, although I still like to put the TV into "vivid" mode when watching 3D.

There does seem to be an issue with the TV when viewing 3D Blurays from a hardware 3D Bluray player in that motion or rippling artefacts are visible which make the TV unwatchable when used in this way. I am currently trying to find out if LG will be fixing this problem with a firmware update. However, I have found a (rather expensive) way around this by playing 3D Blurays via a PC with a suitable NVIDIA graphics card (the rather low-end GT320), a Plextor BD-ROM drive, and PowerDVD Ultra MkII 3D Bluray software. I have the PC connected to the TV via an ordinary VGA cable plugged into the RGB PC-in socket on the TV, and this solution works flawlessly. I can also successfully view YouTube 3D videos and other 3D content with Stereoscopic Player and TriDef software.

I am about to get a PS3 and am hoping that the display issue will not affect the viewing of 3D games on the TV. Another owner of this TV has told me that the frame-packed 720p/60Hz output from the PS3 does work in 3D, but the 1080p/24Hz output shows the same display problems. If this is true, I will be happy as I will then be able to see all the forms of 3D currently available. However, it should be possible to view 3D Blurays properly using a hardware 3D Bluray player, so I will try my best to get LG to acknowledge that there is a problem and to solve it if possible.

I look forward to hearing other members' experiences and thoughts about the TV in particular and passive 3D in general. I am excited by the news that the RealD Z-screen is being licensed to TV manufacturers to enable a new wave of passive-eyewear 3d TVs to be manufactured soon that will display full 1080p to each eye, like the shutter-glasses TVs. This will probably start a format war!

Post subject: Re: LG 47LD950 3D TV
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010, 10:04 
Site Admin

With passive polarized screens you actually get half the vertical resolution when in 3D mode, so when running a movie in 1080p 24Hz 3D mode it is actually being displayed with a resolution of 1920x540 per eye, instead of 1920x1080 and the 720p 50/60Hz 3D mode is 1280x360 per eye instead of 1280x720. I suppose that the artifacts and issues you are noticing when in the higher resolution mode come from this reduction of resolution combined with the slower framerate in videos, although in you should not have problems to use the 60Hz refresh at 1080p mode for games for example when not using HDMI 1.4(a) for the stereo and instead go for the row interleaved format from the iZ3D or the TriDef 3D driver.

When you mention that the problem is not present by using the PC and PowerDVD, in it you are selecting the Micro-polarizer 3D LCD mode, right? This might also mean that the problem the monitor is having is when it gets 3D input using the 1080p 24Hz 3D mode defined in HDMI 1.4(a) specs and when directly sending the content in the row interleaved format there are not issues. The PS3 uses 720p 3D mode for gaming, so it will probably be Ok, but for Blu-ray 3D playback it also uses the higher resolution and the problem will most likely be there as with the standalone player.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2010, 12:14 

Dear Bloody,

You are absolutely right, as always! The problem is definitely in the TV's processing of the 1080p/24Hz 3D signal. Shannon Dowsing from Inition in the UK knows about the issue (which is also present in the LG CF3D projector) and is in contact with the Screen Development people at LG Korea to try to get a firmware update released to solve the problem. In the meantime there is a fix which works, but it is a nuisance having to apply it every time. The fix is to turn off a feature called "Trumotion", play the 3D Bluray, then toggle 3D off and on again from the remote. This resynchronizes the stereoscopic frames correctly, although it sometimes takes several attempts to get it to work.

Regarding playing 3D Blurays from my PC, yes I have selected Micro-polarizer mode in the PowerDVD software. Of course the display issue is not relevant here because the TV is just behaving as a monitor, with the PowerDVD software doing the interlacing.

I know about the argument that the display is only half-res per eye vertically compared to an active display, and this is of course true in theory, but in practice I don't think there is much if any loss of vertical detail in a 3D Bluray image on the screen. I think this is particularly true for computer animated 3D, maybe not so for real footage taken with 3D cameras. If you pause a frame (or pair of stereoscopic frames in this case) and examine carefully a small area of detail in the image, for example the eye or pupil of an animated character, you will see that all the vertical detail compared to the 2D image is there, just divided equally between your two eyes (odd scan lines to the left, even ones to the right eye). Viewed at an optimal distance from the screen, the scan lines disappear and the brain seems to merge the information producing a composite image with just the same amount of detail vertically as the 2D Bluray image, with the bonus of course of the perception of a 3D image. This is why I think passive 3D is so much better than active 3D for general entertainment purposes. I appreciate the complaints by gamers that small fonts are difficult to read, etc., but even this problem should be solved if TVs that use a combination of the RealD z-screen and passive glasses start to be come to market.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 12:18 

Hi guys,
I don't see this model (LG 47LD950) listed between compatible models for Nvidia 3D Vision. Is there something that prevents it working with it?
Thanks

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 15:44 

Xoom, this will not be a 3d Vision compatible TV. 3d Vision is an active shutter solution. PC gaming using this or any other passive display would be done through other drivers (DDD, iZ3d).