All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3d playback on 3dtv
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 11:48 

Hi!

I have tried to find out the answer by myself, however not reached a single answer.

Currently I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 and a have ASUS VG 278 with integrated IR-emitter for Nvidia 3d vision.
The are both playing great together, though it is time to step up the game and get a big screen 3D tv.
So now I am wondering what I need to think about to be able to get 3d content from my computer to a 3dtv (planning on getting a passive one fyi)

Suppose I am only interested in viewing 3d bluray with PowerDVD would that make a difference?
Do I need to use Nvidia 3dtv play to be able to get 3d content to the 3dtv?
In such case, do I need a tv that is on their comparability list?

Sorry for all the noob questions.

Regards,
Christian

Post subject: Re: 3d playback on 3dtv
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 12:01 

Hi,

Passive and 3dvision interleaved has the best input lag for games but there is a loss of quality.
Actives have the best image but both passive and active 3dtv's have alot of added input lag in 3d compared to 2d.

For a gaming 3dtv passive is the best chioce as it has minimal lag in interleaved mode, only passive can achieve this, samsung can do interleaved but at the cost of added input lag in 3d.

Good chioce!

When you get a passive, you would use hdmi framepacking ( 3dtvplay ) for 3d blurays and the 3dvision interleaved hacked edid for 1080p/60hz=60fps 3d gaming with zero added 3d input lag ;)
You can use the interleaved edid to watch 3d blurays if you like but you will not be able to have frame interpolation on when watching a 3d bluray ( not all 3dtv's support frame interpolation with a 3d bluray or sometimes even with sbs ect ) as it messes with the interleaved image and caused massive artifacts.

if you have any more q's please feel free to ask me, been passive gaming for nearly 3 years.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 18:43 

Thank you so much :)

So does my TV have to be compatible and represented on the homepage of Nvidia 3dtv play? Or is it possible to use any kind of passive 3dtv with 3dtvplay? Can I just plug in the 3dtv in the graphics card and it will be recognized in PowerDVD?

Regards,
Christian

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 05:45 

mocca wrote:
...3dvision interleaved hacked edid for 1080p/60hz=60fps 3d gaming with zero added 3d input lag.

Would it be possible for a hacked EDID to cause the interleave be in the DLP checkerboard format when using 3DTV Play/3D Vision?

So many hints about hacked EDIDs but little to no infomation on where to get them or how to make them. Bloddy created a topic to upload hem to to share but only two have been added to it.

I have a Mit L75-a94. I'm finding many hints about the possibility of 1080p 60MHz (per eye). I understand if it is possible this frame packed method for the left/right eye frames is not as good as a true 1080p resolution. It should be a bit better then 720p 3D 60MHz.

Also the overscan for the L75-a94 in it's naive 720p 3D HD mode is about 5% so much of the screen edge HUD elements are not visable making any games with HUDs that cannot be moved unplayable. I am hoping a hacked resolution support cold be set up to use a custom resolution output like the nVdia desktop resizer.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2012, 00:36 

seaniv wrote:
mocca wrote:
...3dvision interleaved hacked edid for 1080p/60hz=60fps 3d gaming with zero added 3d input lag.

Would it be possible for a hacked EDID to cause the interleave be in the DLP checkerboard format when using 3DTV Play/3D Vision?

So many hints about hacked EDIDs but little to no infomation on where to get them or how to make them. Bloddy created a topic to upload hem to to share but only two have been added to it.

I have a Mit L75-a94. I'm finding many hints about the possibility of 1080p 60MHz (per eye). I understand if it is possible this frame packed method for the left/right eye frames is not as good as a true 1080p resolution. It should be a bit better then 720p 3D 60MHz.

Also the overscan for the L75-a94 in it's naive 720p 3D HD mode is about 5% so much of the screen edge HUD elements are not visable making any games with HUDs that cannot be moved unplayable. I am hoping a hacked resolution support cold be set up to use a custom resolution output like the nVdia desktop resizer.

Hi, Checkerboard is now part of the new nvidia beta drivers and 3dtvplay ;)

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 01:55 

Thanks Mustang and Mocca for posting about this new Nvidia driver feature (BETA 3.10.33)! I usually skip beta releases so close to a WHQL release.

The 3.10 drivers + 3DTV Play provide a new dropdown option for Checkerboard in addition to 3D HD (HDMI 1.4a spec) on the 3D settings page. 1080p60MHz with 3D via Checkerboard (so up to 60 fps per eye) over HDMI cable is not as good as 1080p 2D but better than 720p. DLP means no ghosting. The ability to raise the brightness without added ghosting makes up for what Checkerboard does to fine lines like text.

For my Mitsubishi LaserVue L75-a94 an added benefit is the Nvidia driver can now compensate for the TVs overscan when playing games. Before the Checkerboard 3D mode only the desktop could be resized. When 3DTV play output the 3D HD video is was only at the standard 1080p or 720p resolutions. Now I can choose the resized output in the game settings. 1920x1080 is really 1824x1026 visible for my TV due to the overscan.

Kind of figures (but not surprising) that things start improving for Nvidia S3D with the Oculus Rift getting into the game.

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 09:33 

is it possible to use any kind of passive 3dtv with 3dtvplay? Can I just plug in the 3dtv in the graphics card and it will be recognized in PowerDVD?