All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: LG Passive 3DTV colorbug investigation and FIX
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 17:17 

Ok, you already tried that. Saves me from trying that again, thx for the info!

Even if you can unpack and pack the firmware, searching for "50" wont be easy. Maybe doing a diff between US and EU firmware, since US firmware has default v-sharpness value set to to 55 (IIRC) . But I dont have the guts to mess with the firmware :)

If LG does not fix this for 2011 passives, they will never see money from me again.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 12:31 

We bought the LG 32" 32LW4500 tv for our company to view stereoscopic content and do different stereo works (stereo compositing, editing stereo material etc).

At first when I connected the tv to my workstation with HDMI cable (Geforce GTX560 card), it was impossible to get viewable stereo image. One eye seemed to be ok but other had severe ghosting. As it seemed like some kind of aspect ratio fitting problem (repeating patterns in interlaced image) I discovered after some messing in menus that aspect ratio must be set to "just scan". Neither "16:9" nor "original" work correctly although computer sends out 1920x1080 signal. This eliminated the obvious problem but color bleed was still strong.

Next I followed the instructions in this topic and changed the EDID settings (no sound). This improved the image but some ghosting was still present. To get rid of the remaining ghosting I turned off all the image enchancing settings, set picture mode to Expert1 and played with sharpness settings to find the best values. Both horizontal and vertical sharpness can introduce ghosting so both must be changed to find optimal values. I found that best settings for my tv were H sharpness 30 and V sharpness 55. For contrast and brightness I use values 100 and 40.

After tweaking the settings I am rather happy with image quality - with right viewing angle (seems to be a little lower than center) there is no apparent ghosting on most footage. Very high contrast scenes have some minor ghosting and mostly near the top edge.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 00:52 

@Shii

I can now confirm that this dark background ghosting really is a technology limit, but its really annoying though :x you have to try batman arkham city, isn't very pretty because there is a lot of light on dark corners.

the question now is, is that an generall passive tv problem, or is our lw4500 crap compared to other tv's?? :D

batman really is the best example for a quite dark game with a lot of shadows and different lights - and so thats be bad reference about this annoying "limit"

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 17:10 

i too have a bit ghosting at bright objects on dark background. its worse at the top/right edge in the screen. I had three 55LW659S tested (due to other problems) and all three had this. Sitting a bit higher so you look a bit down to the center of the screen helps a bit -> less ghosting top/right edge.

lowering backlight and contrast helps too (of course).

Interestingly, i have two different sets of 5x glasses party pack, and the glasses are different. The glasses in one set have less ghosting! (and they differ in form)
the ones with more ghosting have a slit in the middle of the glasses frame (i think its the AG-F215 bundle). The "LG cinema 3D" printing is monochrom.
the others with less ghosting dont have a slit and the "LG cinema 3D" printing is in color.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 10:12 

Hugezilla wrote:
@Shii

I can now confirm that this dark background ghosting really is a technology limit, but its really annoying though :x you have to try batman arkham city, isn't very pretty because there is a lot of light on dark corners.

the question now is, is that an generall passive tv problem, or is our lw4500 crap compared to other tv's?? :D

batman really is the best example for a quite dark game with a lot of shadows and different lights - and so thats be bad reference about this annoying "limit"

You'll be happy to know that the 450 is not too bad when compared to a toshiba passive or phillips pfl7606 range for light on dark, these 2 sets are pretty poor with xtalk and shows nearly all the extreme xtalk test black picture.
Different passive sets do have different performances, there not all the same.
Bet i've seen so far is a lg 47lk950u that showed the black test with the image nearly at 100% xtalk free, same goes for a 47ld920 i have now.

http://3dvision-blog.com/4056-stereo-3d ... e-results/

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012, 09:21 

A question please. If I connect my pc via a dvi to hdmi connector instead of hmdi to my LG 3d passive tv will this fix the LG Passive 3DTV colorbug? If I am reading correctly it is the sound signals output through hdmi which are causing the problems. DVI has no sound output so perhaps this may bypass the problem?

For sound I always use my Soundblaster 7.1 connected to a surround sound system so the dvi output having no sound is not a problem for me.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 19:40 

Hello. I bought LG42lm660t. So i want to connect pc via dvi - hdmi cable to my tv and watch 3d movies. Graphic card is geforce 9600GT. Do i need to apply all these settings? Sorry for bad english skills :)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 20:52 

vermutas, no. You need this settings only for 3d games with nvidia 3dtv play. For 3d movies you can use any correctly configured video player.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 22:44 

Hi,

First of all, thanks alot for this guide – I tried many, many options for this, but it still doesn’t work properly. My setup:

LG LM42 760s (I believe it’s similar to the 7600 or 760t in other countries)
Geforce GTX 560Ti

I tried:
OPTION 1:
- your driver, my own tailor-made one as well as the ones from here: http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your ... 3d-vision/
what works with this: 3d is displaying properly ingame (tested Battlefield 3 and it looks great!)
what doesnt work: the keyboard shortcut function in the NVIDIA control panel is grayed out, resulting in a very annoying green info ingame at the bottom right corner about the 3d version that’s currently running (you’re supposed to make it go away with ctrl alt insert, but since the option for keyboard shortcut is greyed out, the keyboard shortcut doesn’t work).

OPTION 2:
I also tried the driver submitted here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2288
What works: the keyboard shortcut function in the NVIDIA control panel isn’t greyed out, resulting in the ability to use the keyboard shortcut and therefore making the annoying green info at the bottom right ingame disappear with the shortcut
What doesn’t work: Something (probably L/R) still seems inverted. I unfortunately cannot go through the nvidia 3dtv setup process again to make this work, and changing the “InterleavePattern0″ and “ff00ff00″ to both “ff00ff00″ or “00ff00ff” doesn’t help either.

I’m a bit frustrated after two days of forum-readings, so your help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance!

PS Sorry for posting the question on different threads, just hoping for people with an answer as this is a really specific question it seems!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 12:13 

Hey guys,
I don't know if anyone still watches this thread, but I will try my luck.
So after getting a new LG a month ago, I tried to get 3D gaming working properly. First I used TriDef to output SBS and it worked good, without any ghosting to be seen by my eyes.
In the last days, I've tried to get Nvidia 3D Vision interleave to work. I tried all kind of different EEID setups, including modifying the PnP one, but there is always some kind of colorbug remaining. It increases when you power up the 3D depth, as you can clearly see that the "halos" around the objects get much wider apart during increasing.
I tried EEID's in HDMI & DVI mode, but the results wouldn't change. I've read about the LG settings trick, but it seems that the menu structure is different on the new Smart TV Setups and I can't reproduce it like it's stated in the video. I tried to fiddle around with the settings, like changing picture modes, changing the sharpness settings on the different modes, etc. But the colorbug ghosting (halos) can't be fixed.
Am I missing something? Is it due to the technical nature of the LG TV that I can't get rid of these artifacts? I just don't know what it's left to try to get a proper image. If anybody could help me out, this would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have to add, that I've tried 3D via TriDef using interleave with the modified EEID, no color ghosting, no halos, great image. How can it be that only 3D Vision creates this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next