All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LG55lw Passive LED Lcd
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011, 22:18 

Hey Bloody I really need your advice. I bought this tv last night. I works pretty well connected to the supplied bluray for 3-d movies. I have it hooked up to my pc with an Nvidia 590. I've used my Asus 24 monitor with 3d vision with no problems playing games. On the tv I've used the 2d-3d conversion with decent results as well. What are my other options ie 3d play to game in 3d with this tv? Can I use the 3d vision as well? Thank you for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: LG55lw Passive LED Lcd
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 11:17 
Site Admin

If you already have the 3D Vision IR emitter connected to your PC, then there is nothing extra needed to make the TV work in stereo 3D mode through the built-in free 3DTV Play functionality. You will have to use 720p 50/60Hz 3D mode or 1080p 24Hz 3D mode as the TV won't work with others in 3D mode due to the HDMI 1.4 specs for supporting stereo 3D.

Without the 3D Vision IR emitter you would need to get a 3DTV Play software license from Nvidia in order to use the 3D TV for playing games in stereo 3D mode. Of course you don't need the 3D Vision glasses, you will be using the TV's supplied passive 3D glasses.

The 1080p 24Hz 3D mode is Ok for movies, but you probably won't be willing to play games with it. The lower FPS isn't very comfortable as this resolution is intended for watching 3D movies, not for games. But since you have a row interleaved 3D HDTV you may be able to use it with row interleaved output from the iZ3D or the TriDef 3D drivers as well, you can try that with their trial versions if you wish to. Using this mode would allow you to play in stereoscopic 3D mode at 1080p 60Hz, of course with the lower vertical resolution that the passive 3D solutions provide. But with HDMI 1.4 mode using 1080p 24Hz 3D mode you are still getting the lower resolution and at 24 fps per eye, so you should also try the alternatives of 3D Vision/3DTV Play.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 15:17 

Bloody you are the man!! Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 17:17 

So just a little update. I can run PC games using 3D play and it works pretty well for most games. However, you do sacrifice resolution. My results running 3d Blu-ray were just so-so using Power DVD 11 or whatever the ultimate edition is named. The visuals are good but continue to see artifacts no matter what adjustments I make. The same for up-converting dvds 2d-3d. Actually, LG Cinema's 2d-3d conversion looks much, much better. The 3d blu-ray player that came with the TV actually has been flawless. The quality of the 3D playback is extremely good and better than the theater, almost no ghosting whatsoever. Tridef drivers work pretty well but required a lot more trial and error adjusting. The results were gaming in 1900x1080 @ 60hz with a mixed bag of 3d. I've played Grid in 3d in both 3D play @ 720p and Tridef @ 1080p. I had a better experience with the overall package of the 3D play. Then I played a few PS3 3d titles; Gran Turismo 5 was by far the best PS3 game and I actually preferred it to any other PC title, Kill Zone 3 was kind of cool but the visuals really take a hit and the focus in the distance is really poor, COD Black Ops was a good 3d experience but again when aiming in the distance I often close one eye ( I guess kind of like real life now that I think about it), The Sly Cooper collection decent 2d layered in 3d. Again several titles look pretty impressive just using the TVs 2d-3d conversion and adjusting the depth (Uncharted 2, the original version of Batman AA, both look excellent).