All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Samsung d8000 vs sony
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 21:07 

I am looking into the 55 inch 3dtv purchase now. I see some good things about the d8000 samsung and have seen one in a store that looked great. Does anyone have any info on how something by sony may compare to the samsung.

Not sure about edgelit vs a backlit display. I am still completely baffled that backlit seems to be better, but makers are hung up on thinking that people want a thin giant display. I mean, really??? Nobody cares if the display is 1 inch thick or 3 inches thick, we want a display that -stay with me- they want a display that looks good.

Post subject: Re: Samsung d8000 vs sony
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 10:27 
Site Admin

Well, if you are interested in the stereo 3D performance there probably won't be much of a difference.

But there are other things that may be in favor of one or the other, like better and more comfortable glasses with the Sony or more supported 3D input formats by the Samsung, so it depends a lot on what do you plan of using the 3D HDTV mostly for...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 23:58 

Mostly for the 2d performance. I saw the d8000 at a bestbuy hooked up right to a bluray player and it was one of the first big screen displays that really really impressed me. Most you see on display just dont look right for some reason. There is so much calibration to do, you can never tell what you are looking at in the stores, but the 2d image looked amazing. I figure the top 3d screens are samsung and sony for led. I guess panasonic may be a big thing for the plasma sets, but I am not sure about plasma.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2011, 10:50 
Site Admin

Yes, Panasonic is the choice if you want to go for a 3D-capable plasma HDTV.

But don't forget that in-store most TVs are running in a special Store mode and they do look different (more attractive) than when operating in their normal mode after you take them home, so you should be careful for that...

As for calibration, different sets have different options for that, however if you measure the colors on pretty much any HDTV you will notice they are not perfect anyway, so you will need to do a color calibration in the sake of color accuracy, but you should ask yourself if you really need to do that for just a slight visible improvement that you may not even notice with your eyes. ;)

Profile WWW