All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Enabling OpenGL Stereo with Sony HMZ-T1 HMD
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 17:41 

I'm trying to use the HMZ -T1 HMD for a research application. To start with, I bought the NVIDIA Quadro K-5000 card and installed with latest drivers (ver: 310.90). I have connected Sony HMD and trying to run the sample OpenGL quad buffered program (fire_stereo, Hw flipping mode) downloaded from http://www.gali-3d.com/archive/articles ... torial.php.

Whatever I tried ( changing the stereo display mode in NVIDIA control panel, turning the triple buffering On/Off) i can't get the HMD to detect the stereo signal. I have the enable stereo On in the control panel. I'm not sure where the problem is. My hunch is somehow the graphics card is not conveying the stereo signal in HDMI 1.4 format to the HMD. Any thoughts or hints? Thanks you!

Post subject: Re: Enabling OpenGL Stereo with Sony HMZ-T1 HMD
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 18:51 
Site Admin

This devices expects to get HDMI 1.4 frame packaged input for 3D and Quadro cards do not have support this output type in Quad Buffered OpenGL mode, you can only use it in 3D Vision mode with 3DTV Play compatibility that outputs 3D data in frame packaged format.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 19:06 

Thank You! It explains why I can't get it working. So basically I can't use the Sony HMZ -T1 for my application unless I do something like side-by-side rendering in my program. Is that correct? Thanks!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 22:02 
Site Admin

Unfortunately you cant directly make it work, so you need to think of a workaround solution that will allow you to use it.

The Sony HMZ-T1 HMD is targeted at consumers and it relies on HDMI 1.4 for 3D as it a consumer oriented standard, it is not intended for professional use.

You can check for example the upcoming Oculus Rift, it will be much more interesting for developers looking into utilizing HMD devices in their software, not to mention it is supposed to be more affordable and open, so you should be able to easily implement support for it.

Profile WWW