All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Sony HMZ-T1 personal 3D Viewer
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 05:16 

Hello everyone, I wanted to know if the HMZ T1 you can play with the PC? thank you very much

Case:Tt Armor A90Ali:Cooler Master 1000W MCpu:Core i7920 3.8Dissi:CM V8Mobo:GA EX58-UD4Prev1 Ram:Transcend 6GB 1600VGA:3waySLI 470HD:WD1TB Sata 2/3d Vision Monitor:LG W2363DVPR:Acer H5360Tastiera:G19Mouse:RazerMambaBelkin N52TE

Post subject: Re: HMZ-T1 personal 3D Viewer
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 17:44 
Site Admin

Nvidia is working on adding support for Sony's HMZ-T1 HMD device through the 3DTV Play software, so it should be supported...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 20:00 

Bloody wrote:
Nvidia is working on adding support for Sony's HMZ-T1 HMD device through the 3DTV Play software, so it should be supported...

thank you .... I would know to say if the GTX 470 right? or in addition to the software must also have the HDMI 1.4?

Tank's again....

Case:Tt Armor A90Ali:Cooler Master 1000W MCpu:Core i7920 3.8Dissi:CM V8Mobo:GA EX58-UD4Prev1 Ram:Transcend 6GB 1600VGA:3waySLI 470HD:WD1TB Sata 2/3d Vision Monitor:LG W2363DVPR:Acer H5360Tastiera:G19Mouse:RazerMambaBelkin N52TE

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 20:14 
Site Admin

It should work on GTX 470 as well, you can use DVI to HDMI adapter... no need to specially have HDMI 1.4 connector on the video card.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 22:20 

Bloody wrote:
It should work on GTX 470 as well, you can use DVI to HDMI adapter... no need to specially have HDMI 1.4 connector on the video card.

Thanks, I use the mini hdmi adapter -> HDMI and goes very well ...

Thanks for solving my doubts ...

PS: You have tried the viewer?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 11:12 
Site Admin

No, I'm still not able to get a hold of a HMZ-T1 unit yet so I can try it...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 04:57 

I have had one for a couple days. It pretty much does work as advertised. The color quality is great, the blacks are really black. It doesnt require any real fooling with to get it to work. It works great with the ps3, it works with 3dvision as long as you plug the emitter in for 3dtvplay. It seems like the framerate is not so great. This is a big deal for gaming. When I compare games on my 1080p acer 3d display to the 720p sony, the sony clearly has far less frames even though its half the resolution. So, its not a videocard power issue. I think the sony just cant do a high framerate. I think it detects as 60hz, but its probably knocking that down. Its not a shutter glass system, so you dont need 120hz or anything, but its hard to game with it because its just need feeding in enough frames when things get fast. The other thing i notice is, i just wish i could get closer to the image. It does look like a big 720p display viewed at a distance, and thats the problem. 720p big is not enough, it looks a little blocky. The 3d effect works fine. Its so uncomfortable, I am going to send it back. I mean it really is hard to find any way to keep it on the head. If it was 1080p, that may change things, it may be worth the pain. At 720p though, you may be better off with a 1080p 3d display. I think projected 3d over a 720p pj is better mainly because you can position yourself close or far to the screen. With the sony, you are stuck with the place they put you, which feels a little far away for good immersion. Its interesting. Its a very very good sign that with just some little tweaks to ergonomics and a bump up to 1080p, they are really onto something interesting. I cant say that its a keeper unless you have a situation that really would require this when no other options would really work.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 11:47 
Site Admin

Thanks for the detailed feedback. So it is really not very comfortable to be worn for longer time?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 21:25 

Yeah, the fitting is sort of doomed by the design. If you have weight hanging from your face, you need to offset that somehow. Their solution is to give you this forehead pad that is not near the top of your head, so you end up squeezing your head to hold it on. They need a bigger heavier design that distributes the weight to the top of your head. This would probably mean moving as much as possible to the very back to balance the weight. Its fine to take weight on the top of your head, but not your forehead. That single pad takes the weight. After days of messing with it, i finally got it as comfortable as possible and watched a 3d movie, tried to anyways. Literally a large part of the front of my head was numb after about 30 minutes.

I think they were afraid to go with a bigger design. I say, go freaking huge if you have to, because it needs to be redesigned to be more comfortable. The lack of comfort isnt really apparent until you hit the 30 minute mark and you want nothing more than to get out of this thing. Its also strange because you need to put your eyes in an exact spot to see well. That means when you put the unit on, you have to put the back on first and tilt it down over your face. Its very close to your eyes and with glasses, you really slide it right on and its a bit strange, it pulls your hair down and crap, the earphones are all out of whack and stuff. The thing I notice that may help is to have the actual visual part pivot out so that you can put it on, then just drop the screens down into your eyes. If you could just slap it on quick, that would help, but its such a fiddley fit, you have to put it on then adjust everything, and then its just heavy. I mean, people complain about the 3d shutterglasses endlessly, this is massively more inconvenient and more uncomfortable. I mean for 30 minutes or an hour of wear, its just not going to happen. For something that blocks out the outside world, thats not good because you may have to answer the phone or look at the keyboard or something. It has to be something that can come off easy.

But, it does work well. It is really easy to set up and the colors are great, so its not a total fail. It fails to give you that totally immersed feeling because you can see around it so easy, and other devices do fairly easily beat it out in resolution and framerate in a way that is plainly noticable. I have a 1080p led lcd and a 720p projector so I know and have the alternatives. If this was your only 3d setup, I know you would be impressed, because it does deliver, but it is beaten by other devices if you know about them. I still think the projector is the best, but you do need a dark room and a wall, so that may not happen for some people.

I have been shooting 3d all around the world since 1998 with film then later digital and have used 3d slide viewers of all kinds, so I was looking forward to this unit more than just about anyone. Its the comfort and resolution that keep me from wanting to keep it, but it shows that we are really close to something like this that will work. I think the concept is rare and they have not thought out the ergonomics yet. If it was redesigned and had 1080p, it would be something I would not part with. Its 720p, but I guess because the pixels are so tiny there seems to be more of a seperation between the pixels. I am just filling out the return paperwork now.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 09:48 
Site Admin

So it seems that the design hasn't approved much from the previous larger HMD devices we've had on the market before the HMZ-T1 - still problems with external light blocking as well as not very comfortable for longer use. Is it Ok while moving your head wearing the device or you need to be careful when moving, otherwise it may fall down?

Profile WWW