All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Using the DDD TriDef 3D Software with a 3D HDTV
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2010, 15:51 
Site Admin

Here is what you need to know if you decide to take advantage of the new AMD HD3D Technology along with DDD's TriDef 3D software to connect your 3D-capable HD television set using HDMI 1.4(a) for watching stereo 3D content in the form of 3D photos, 3D videos and to play games in stereo 3D mode on the big screen...

- You need to have an ATI Radeon HD 5000 series or AMD Radeon HD 6000 series of GPU, older video cars are not compatible with the AMD HD3D Technology.
- You will need to download and install the latest Catalyst graphics driver, which is currently Catalyst 10.10c Hotfix.
- If you have more than one video card or a dual-GPU solution such as 5970 you should disable Catalyst AI from the driver, Crossfire does not yet work, but if you have trouble with a single GPU try disabling the Catalyst AI… it might help as well.
- You need the latest DDD TriDef 3D Software (version 4.3.1 or newer) for enabling stereoscopic 3D output to your 3D HDTV. You should select as the output mode "AMD – AMD HD3D Technology (HDMI 1.4a)", although there is one misleading thing – that you can use it in any resolution, when the truth is that you are good to go only for 720p 50/60Hz and 1080p 24Hz modes!
- You should set your desktop resolution and refresh rate to 1920x1080, 24Hz in order to make it easier to run some games with the right settings from the start – otherwise if the game tries to run at 1080p with 60Hz you might just see a black screen. If the problem continues you might have to disable the S3D software, run the game normally, set the right resolution from its in-game menu, enable the S3D software and try running it again. Some games do not have option to set the refresh rate, just the resolution and these might still be problematic for the 1080p, 24Hz 3D mode, however the 720p 50/60Hz mode should be Ok.
- After enabling the right mode you can test if it is working right by running the "TriDef 3D Experience" launcher, before going to try out some games, if this works in 3D then you are all set.
- If you want to play in the 1080p 24Hz stereo 3D mode, then make sure that you have V-sync for the game disabled in order to make it more comfortable to be played and not so choppy, especially for fast action oriented games as with 24 frames per eye and V-sync enabled you will probably not be very happy. But you will need to be able to get higher framerate in the game in order to feel more comfortable and to avoid a lot of visible tearing.
- DDD is running a promotion with a half price license for their TriDef 3D software, meaning that if you have a 5000/6000 series of GPU you can get it for just $24.99 USD…
- Before actually going to buy or decide which of these products is Ok for you, you can first test your 3D setup for 14 days using the TriDef 3D software.
- The list of supported hardware available on AMD's website regarding 3D-capable HDTVs is not complete, in theory every HDMI 1.4(a) capable 3D HDTV might work, although when trying it out you might have trouble because of lack of information and as a result you might think it is actually not working…

- You can download the latest DDD TriDef 3D software here...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Using the DDD TriDef 3D Software with a 3D HDTV
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2011, 10:18 

Work only with nvidia quadro ! I have acer x110 3d and acer shutter glasses ! (Page flip Software is unstabile )

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 10:04 

I currently use AMDHD3D ( 6850 ) with Tridef and LG Passive 3D monitor D2342PN.

Didn't know about the 720p@60 and 1080p@24 before getting it though! Here's a few questions:

1. I keep my desktop resolution always at 1080p @ 60hz. I am able to start all the games I want. Therefore if I keep the ingame settings
at 1080p then TRIDEF automatically maps it to 1080p@24hz mode. If I keep 1280x720 in game, TRIDEF maps it to 720p@60hz ?

2. What if I keep some other resolution ? Is it mapped to 720p@60hz ? I cant seem to find any setting to set the mode myself.
Is the game rendering at the arbitrary resolution I set and tridef rescaling it to 720 p? In that case there's
no point in setting any resolution other than 720p and 1080p ?

3. I understand the limitation here is with HDMI connectivity between 6850 and LG monitor (1.4a). My card though has display port 1.2 ( 21 gbps ) and
dual link dvi connectivity. Would getting a display port / dual link dvi based 3d monitor solve the issue ? Can you name a passive 3d monitor ( not interested in shutter glass ) that has 1080p 60fps 3d gaming capability ?

4. Not able to find any conclusive info from internet -> does TRIDEF have any plans in future for crossfire support ? My general idea was to crossfire
6850 in future.

5. Just a curiosity -> AFAIK the pixel format being transferred between PC and monitor seems to take 12 bytes or so per pixel. Probably thats why the bandwidth of 10.2 gbps is being consumed for 1080p /24 gaming. Wudn't reducing the pixel format size help here ? RGBA would take 4 bytes .

Thanks
-James

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 10:21 
Site Admin

720p at 50/60Hz 3D mode and 1080p 24Hz 3D mode are the only ones available for stereo 3D when using HDMI 1.4 interface and you send the data using the frame packaging method defined in the HDMI 1.4 standard. With passive 3D displays however you are able to sent the row interleaved data directly instead of using frame packaged output and this will allow you to even use 1080p with 60Hz in 3D mode. Due to the fact that you are actually sending a normal 2D Full HD frame in this mode you are not hitting the bandwidth limitation even of HDMI, unlike when you are using frame packaging where you are sending two Full HD frames, but due to the way passive 3D monitors make up the 3D image you actually don't need that and you can thus go around the limitation for 1080p refresh rate that HDMI 1.4 has. With this monitors it is not a matter of limitation of bandwidth regardless of what interface you are using, the HDMI 1.4 has its limitations, but it it standard, but you are not required to use it with this monitor and not using it can easily get you 1080p 60Hz 3D support (there is no need for DL DVI or DisplayPort). Although out from this you will be actually getting 1920x540 @ 60Hz per eye due to the way passive monitors build the 3D image.

With passive 3D monitors you can achieve best results when using the native resolution of the display, or at least as higher one as possible due to the fact that you are loosing half of the vertical resolution when in 3D mode. So the higher the resolution of the display, the better quality you are getting.

As for multi-gpu Crossfire support, this has been a topic for discussion for quite some tine now, but we are still not getting any. It might not be a matter of only TriDef 3D supporting it, but also something that needs to be done on a driver level from AMD in order for it to work. I'm mentioning this since the other middle-ware software 3D partner for AMD - iZ3D also does not yet have support for multi-gpu setups.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 14:48 

very interesting.. thanks for the update.

So that means the fps that I see from fraps or tridef counters ( ranging from 15 - 40 depending on the game ) are the actual frames displayed at 1080p
since I use passive 3d.

I believe those sticking to 1.4a spec may employ side-by-side or top-down 3d modes to improve fps on 1080p. This cuts the horizontal resolution in half and is again totally unnecessary on my monitor.

Tridef is rendering very good 3d effects in most games it supports. Though it sure does drop the fps to nearly half compared to 2d.
It also seems to cut into the graphics card memory a bit, as video memory heavy games like GTA iV cant load best textures even into 1gb vmem in 3d ( which it can in 2d ).

So here's my advise : instead of crossfire/SLI, aim for 2GB more powerful cards :)

I have tried Crysis 2, which supports native stereoscopic 3d, and it ran almost same fps as the 2d version @ 1080p ( without tridef of course ).

Hopefully more titles will migrate to native stereoscopic 3d.

Although out from this you will be actually getting 1920x540 @ 60Hz per eye due to the way passive monitors build the 3D image

LG seems to claim although its 540 per eye, net result is 1080p. From what I compared 1080p 3d to 1080p 2d, really cant tell lack of vertical resolution.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 19:31 
Site Admin

Crysis 2 uses a special algorithm for generating the 3D effect which reduces the framerate much less, but also the effect isn't as good as with proper full generation of the frames for both the left and right eye. This has been developed as a solution for game consoles that cannot afford to have 30-40-50% performance drop when in stereo 3D mode, unlike PCs where you can just upgrade the hardware if it gets too slow.

Forget about what LG is saying, it is not like having true 1080p resolution per eye, even though the result is still quite good...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 05:42 

I've been using 3d play and Tridef with my 55" led lcd passive 3d LG. I have a 590great as well. The Tridef has given me the best overall results due to higher resolution. Takes awhile to fine tune each game but its pretty impressive.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 11:29 

Hi,

Need some help with 3d blu ray playback.

With my system of ATI 6850 and LG D2342P, will I be able to view 3D Blu Ray movies with this drive ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo

This is 12X BD drive, so it shouldn't have any problems in 3d blu ray ?

Also tridef media player or any other 3d media player software will be able to convert the 3d content to the interleaved format required by my system ?

Thanks in advance,
James

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 11:40 
Site Admin

Pretty much any more recent Blu-ray optical drive should be more than capable of playing back Blu-ray 3D movies on PC with the right software player. You don't need the TriDef software of the playback of BD 3D movies, you need a software player such as PowerDVD. You can download the trial version to test if it will properly work on your 3D setup, although it should be just fine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 13:40 

thanks for the update.

what about purchasing of blu day 3d discs ?

This one here http://www.amazon.com/IMAX-Ultimate-Wav ... 584&sr=8-1
states this :

To watch this movie in Blu-ray 3D, you will need a 3D-capable television that comes with active-shutter glasses and a 3D-capable Blu-ray player.

Why specifically only active shutter glasses ? or is it mislabelled ?