All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Wanting to buy GD245HQAbid, wondering about TriDef 3D
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2012, 22:19 

Hi.

Ive been looking into 3D monitors lately and am interested in buying an Acer GD245HQAbid. The monitor uses Nvidia 3D vision technology and active 3D glasses. Thats fantastic for my daily gaming, but it doesnt offer (unless anyone can suggest otherwise) any way to convert 2D content to 3D like what TriDef 3D can do. While looking into Tridef I noticed that it was bundled with several passive 3D monitors, which led me to believe that TriDef 3D is only available on passive monitors.

I was just wondering if anyone who either has a GD245HQAbid or an active monitor knows whether TriDef can work with an active monitor.

Thanks in advance.

Also, although its of topic, would I be able to link my PS3 upto the monitor and use it for 3D along with the Nvidia active glasses.

Post subject: Re: Wanting to buy GD245HQAbid, wondering about TriDef 3D
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 08:40 
Site Admin

You need to go for a more recent 3D monitor as the GD245HQ is already a bit old and will not fit your requirements.

Officially TriDef 3D does not work with any of the 3D Vision-ready displays, though you might be able to make it work somewhat, the software does officially support some active 3D displays, but only AMD-based video cards.

For use with PlayStation in 3D you'd need a display with HDMI 1.4 input and the GD245HQ does not have it, the newer GN245HQ from Acer for example does come with a built-in IR emitter and HDMI 1.4 3D support, but there are even more recent models available offering more features and better performance.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 22:48 

Thanks for the reply, so would the new GN245HQ work with TriDef (using a GTX 560 gpu) and if it did would TriDef set up easily, or would the modifications be hard to undertake? The main reason I was after the GD245HQ was because it was bundled with the first Nvidia 3D vision kit and was at a cheap (for 3d monitor's) price.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 23:05 
Site Admin

Officially it will not work, unofficially you might be able to make it work, but you could have some problems, so better stick with 3D Vision as far as gaming goes. For converting 2D movies into 3D there are multiple software alternatives available that will work with 3D Vision as well...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 23:09 

The only problem is, is that other conversion software I can find seems to not be instantaneous. So am I right in assuming that my GTX 560 Nvidia card renders TriDef pretty useless? and also, if you could recommend a monitor which supports Nvidia 3D vision, what would you recommend?

Thanks for the help btw, has been very useful thus far :)

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 00:19 
Site Admin

Not all solutions are real-time and trying to convert Full HD video could require a more serious hardware to get real-time conversion from 2D to 3D. My advice however is to stick to real 3D content when talking about movies and not to go into too much 2D to 3D conversion as it can be quite disappointing at times and with games, most of them get converted in proper stereoscopic 3D format with 3D Vision or TriDef 3D anyway.

If you are going for a 3D Vision monitor I'd recommend to look for good deals on the latest generation 3D Vision-ready monitors supporting Lightboost technology, these are: BenQ XL2420T/TX, Acer HN274H B and Asus VG278H with the later two being bigger 27-inch models.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 15:18 

Looking into the BenQ monitor and the ASUS monitor.The only problem with the BenQ is that I would need to buy Nvidia 3D vision 2 separately, which isn't much of a problem in my eyes.

There are two questions which would very much help me making my perhaps final choice.

1. Is this monitor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VG236H-23- ... 213&sr=8-2 the same as the Asus monitor you told me about. (Or is it just the screen size)

2. Which of the two monitors would YOU personally recommend (from a gaming Nvidia perspective), pros/cons would be useful.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 16:34 
Site Admin

The VG236H is an older model and thew newer BenQs should easily provide better experience in stereoscopic 3D mode.
Haven't personally tested the new BenQ's yet, but they are getting positive reviews from others that have tested them...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 16:52 
Site Admin

One is with a built in IR emitter and bundled with 3D Vision glasses, the the other is without. Have in mind also that only the TX version (with glasses and built-in IR emitter) has support for 3D over HDMI 1.4. The TX model however is still not available in Europe (not sure where you are based).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 16:57 

Thanks for the reply, deleted message and rephrased it but you had already replied. Living in Britain stops me being able to buy the TX then. Is there any way to allow support for HDMI 1.4 (when using the BenQ XL2420T) as it would allow me to not only use my PS3 on the monitor, but also save me having to buy a blu-ray player?