3D Vision Blog

A normal user's look into the world of 3D Stereo Technologies

3D Vision Blog header image 2

Make Your Passive 3D Monitor or 3D HDTV Work with 3D Vision

February 11th, 2012 · 184 Comments · GeForce 3D Vision

Not that long ago Nvidia has introduced their “Optimized for Geforce” program that allows some certified passive 3D monitors such as Acer HR274H and Acer GR235HA to work with the 3D Vision video drivers, allowing you to use the full 3D Vision functionality with a passive 3D display. Prior to that in the old stereoscopic 3D drivers Nvidia had support for passive 3D monitors from Zalman, and although the newer Zaman 3D monitors were bundled with the iZ3D driver and not anymore with 3D Vision, they actually do work with 3D Vision and get optimized for the Optimized for GeForce functionality. If you have a passive 3D LCD monitor or even a passive 3D HDTV that is not supported by 3D Vision (Optimized for GeForce) you can actually quite easily make it work by installing a monitor driver with EDID override that will tell Windows and the video drivers that you actually have a different compatible display.

Here is an example using LG’s D2343P passive 3D monitor with installed Zalman ZM-M240W 3D Monitor EDID Override and the LG gets recognized as a Zalman 3D monitor. You need to install the INF driver from the link over the monitor driver you currently have installed from the Windows Device Manager, using the Have Disk option and if when get a warning message just confirm that you want the driver installed anyway. After that you may have to restart Windows in order for things to start working and the Nvidia video drivers to be able to properly recognize and activate the 3D support.

Opening the Nvidia Control Panel and going to the Stereoscopic 3D settings page you should see the “Optimized for GeForce” logo if everything is working properly and clicking the Test Stereoscopic 3D button should bring the Nvidia 3D test on the screen that should be working just fine when you put on the passive 3D glasses that came with the monitor. After that you can the 3D Vision Photo and Video Player and even play games in stereo 3D mode just like you would with an active 3D display and with the 3D Vision glasses. Of course using passive 3D would mean that you would have some limitations like the half vertical resolution when in 3D mode, the lower vertical viewing angle etc., but still you will be able to use passive 3D displays with your Nvidia graphics card and with all the features that 3D Vision offers, an not only with the iZ3D or the DDD TriDef 3D drivers, so you will simply have one more alternative available. I’ve tested this method and it works just fine even with the latest 295.51 beta video drivers from Nvidia, so you should have no trouble making it work. If you try this on your passive 3D setup, feel free to share your feedback and how it works with your specific 3D hardware, thanks to Butmuncher for finding out about this method.

Update: Since the Zalman EDID override does not support audio for HDMI connection to the monitor, you should use this driver only for DVI connection to the passive 3D display. If you wan to use HDMI connection and have audio over the interface as well, then you should install the Acer EDID override driver. Both INF files are included in the archive below, and special thanks to Greg Gilbert for providing the dump from the Acer HR274H display.

Here you can download the EDID override INF files that you would need for this to work…

Tags: ········

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bloody // Sep 11, 2012 at 01:27

This will not work, because the Acer GD245HQ is an active 3D monitor and this trick is only for passive 3D monitors.

Also with the GD245HQ you need to use Dual-Link DVI for the 3D, it will not work in stereo 3D mode with HDMI to DVI adapter.

• 2 seb // Sep 11, 2012 at 12:38

Ok thx a lot for your answer.

But I saw this on that trick : http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30

I think it’s just a question of EDID …

thx a lot

• 3 Panos // Oct 24, 2012 at 17:48

I know this is quite old, but I was hoping someone can help me as I’ve been fiddling with this for the past 2 days.

Just bought a Samsung SA950 3D monitor, and have 2x GTX 680 in SLI. I was to enable 3d vision on it, so I followed the steps given. Used the INF for “Zalman 3D” and when I go into the Nvidia Control Panel, Stereoscopic isn’t enabled. I enable it and it takes me to the Setup wizard, where none of the options will let me click “Next”.

I’m using the 306.97 Drivers.

Cheers for any help!

• 4 Bloody // Oct 24, 2012 at 18:16

Samsung SA950 is an active stereo 3D monitor, this guide is ONLY for passive 3D monitors, so it will not work with it!

• 5 Panos // Oct 25, 2012 at 05:12

I’ve used an emulator to turn on The Nvidia 3D USB to make it “passive”, and used the Frame Sequential format as per guidelines to make it passive, yet I still run into the problem mentioned above.

• 6 Karim // Oct 26, 2012 at 11:40

Was working fine until I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro…….. now it refuses to override the driver …(not digitally signed) …..any recommendations?

• 7 Bloody // Oct 26, 2012 at 16:40

For Windows 8 you’ll have to Disable driver signature enforcement in order to be able to install drivers that are not digitally signed…

• 8 Enrico // Oct 26, 2012 at 17:53

hello. i tried both EDID’s on my lg d2242p-pn and it works better than tridef, but it “crashes” with some games… when i try to stard doom 3 bfg edition or call of duty 4 the video signal is lost and my monitor turns on and off showing only “power save”… it happens even if i let the pc turn off the video signal by itself (as power save setting), and the only way to make this loop stop is to turn the pc off manually. :(

• 9 Enrico // Oct 26, 2012 at 18:29

ok i made a test with teamviewer and the video signal is ok, i mean that the problem is not from my gtx 260 nor from its driver, it seems that the pc can’t recognize the monitor. Do i have to modify the inf files? if yes, how do i do, and will this fix the problem? thanks a lot for your attention

• 10 disolitude // Nov 11, 2012 at 12:55

did anyone try or has an idea if 3d NVidia surround can work with passive displays and this edid hack? if it can im going to buy 2 more lg monitors tomorrow…

• 11 Murray // Nov 23, 2012 at 05:57

Disolitude.

I’m running triple 3D LG 25″ passive monitors with this override.

They work like a dream, esp after getting the correct monitor glasses from LG as they packed my screen with Cinema Glasses, not correct Monitor ones so purple ghosting, now with correct ones these screens rock.

I do have a Nivida 3D Emitter too thou.

System.
    i7 930 @ 4.3
    6G ram etc.
    EVGA 480 GTX SLI’d
    3d Nvidia Emitter
    3x LG 25″ Passive Mon’s

3D surround glory.

Thanks for all the info guys … great tips n forum :-)

Muz

• 12 Jonathan // Nov 26, 2012 at 00:37

Hey I Just Bought A Passive 3D Lg Tv. 42LM3400 And It Is Not On The Compatability List With My Nvidia GTS450 So I Am Trying To Follow This Tutorial But I Have No Idea After I Download The INF File On What The Heck To Do.

• 13 loge spyrk // Dec 18, 2012 at 13:19

Just installed NVIDIA 310.70 and the Acer EDID override stopped working. Tried reinstalling the override and rebooting, but still no go. I had this working like a charm, but now they have blocked the functionality in the new drivers. So don’t update into NVIDIA 310.70 if you are using these particular driver INFs!

• 14 tpapas // Dec 18, 2012 at 18:21

Thanks loge spyrk!!

• 15 Confused 3d-er // Jan 15, 2013 at 18:53

I have a new Nvidea GTX 660 with the latest drivers, (310.90).
    I was thinking of getting an LG 2342 Passive 3D monitor.

Do I presume then that this overide will now not work?

Is there no other way of seeing any 3D images from my computer with the above GFX card and monitor? (Games videos photos?)

Comments appreciated.

C3D

• 16 DAT // Jan 18, 2013 at 21:19

Thanks Bloody for this awesome guide!

I can confirm the EDID override is still working with the latest driver 310.90.

I have an Asus VG23AH Passive 3D monitor and Asus GTX 660, and I’ve used the Zalman INF for the EDID override.

Confused 3d-er: the LG D2342P monitor comes with the Tridef 3D software package and is free.

• 17 vittorio // Jan 19, 2013 at 17:16

upgraded from 306.97 WHQL to 310.90 WHQL (windows 7, 64bit, nvidia 670) and the ACER EDID overwrite is still working here!

@loge spyrk: maybe a problem with 310.70? or coincidentally a different problem?

• 18 Confused 3d-er // Jan 20, 2013 at 03:42

I’ve now bought an LG monitor which has a built-in 2D to 3D conversion, (The LG 2343).
    I tried the acer/Zalman over-ride with my 310.90 Nvidea drivers and I can also confirm that the both EDID overrides DO work.

My only problem now is that the LG interlacing is upside down to the Acer/Zalman monitors so I have the eye swap problem when using 3D Vision. But it works fine with the glasses upside down!

Confused 3D-er
    (Now less confused)

• 19 John // Jan 20, 2013 at 18:34

I have not got my rig yet, but I have a 47inch LG 3DTV. The glasses I have are the cinema ones that are just tinted. They have no colours like red and blue or something. Will these tinted glasses work or do I need the colorful ones, since you guys have to wear them upside down? Or do I just wear these tinted ones upside down aswell?

• 20 vittorio // Jan 20, 2013 at 20:50

Theres software workaround regaring swapping eyes:

But it seems a bit complicated. I have just opened the glasses and swapped the filters.

@John: didnt you get glasses for your LG 3DTV? The cinema glasses probably will work, maybe you have to swap the filters too.

• 21 Confused 3d-er // Jan 21, 2013 at 23:23

John… The 3D ‘tinted’ ones will work fine. if they are the polorised ones that came with the LG TV. Don’t get red/blue ones!

The upside down business is, as I understand, due to that fact that you have fooled the 3d Vision into thinking you have an Acer or Zalman monitor. Those monitors evidentally have the eyes swapped relative to the LG monitor, (50/50 chance!). Since you really have an LG, the phasing is wrong…. So swap eyes. (This can be corrected with a click in some applications). Otherwise its upside down glasses or its blurred!

Vittoria…. Yes, I saw the registry fix… Looks dangerous! Think I will un-glue a spare set of glasses too .

Getting less confused every day,

C3D

• 22 John // Jan 23, 2013 at 18:13

Is this passive set-up from Nvidia better than Tridef? I have heard that Tridef is good for passive displays?

Does anyone know the comparison between these two?

• 23 DAT // Jan 25, 2013 at 04:42

John – Tridef has 14 days trial

I like both but 3D Vision has more depth.

• 24 Jams // Jan 26, 2013 at 10:35

I cannot express how grateful I am for this. Thank. You.

• 25 Simon // Jan 29, 2013 at 16:54

Hey :) This tutorial is very nice, it works fine for my Phillips 37PFL6007k/12 ;) but one quest: is there a chance to get full HD with 3D and NOT @24FPS? i think its because the HDMI (i have 1.4a) … work it with display-port and then an HDMI-Displayport adapter on the tv?

thx 4 help:)

• 26 Bloody // Jan 29, 2013 at 19:49

This solution uses 60Hz at 1080p for 3D as it feeds the display directly with Row Interleaved output. If you are feeding the monitor with HDMI 1.4 frame packaged output for 3D, then you are limited to 24Hz at 1080p (it is interface limitation).

• 27 John // Jan 29, 2013 at 21:29

Yeah, thanks so much for this tutorial. Hope all this loving Karma comes your way!

Does the 3DTV have to be LG brand for it to receive a direct Row Interleaved output? I have heard that it must be LG because it is an FPR style passive tv??

Are there any other brands that use FPR?

• 28 Bloody // Jan 29, 2013 at 22:57

LG is making only passive 3D HDTVs, but there are other brands that produce multiple different kinds of 3D HDTVs including passive 3D ones. All Passive 3D HDTVs use the same technology, though some of them may use different names, the above workaround should work with most in not all passive 3D HDTVs as well as passive 3D monitors.

• 29 NS // Feb 13, 2013 at 21:27

Hello.

How do you revert this to the original EDID info? I accidentally changed this to a non-3d monitor and can’t find a way to remove it

• 30 Bloody // Feb 13, 2013 at 23:11

Simply Uninstall the driver from the Device Manager.

• 31 Wout // Feb 15, 2013 at 00:22

PLEASE HELP
    I don’t know what to d0. I have an Acer gr235h which
    is an passive monitor. But when I override it, I still need to go though the 3d vision wizard. and there is no option for passive monitors? So I don’t know how this method help in any way ?!?
    because you need to go through the 3d vision setup anyway?
    I don’t understand how everyone else did this :(
    please, please, please help!

• 32 Bloody // Feb 15, 2013 at 10:31

There is no special option for passive 3D monitors, you just need to go through he wizard as you normally would and in the end you should see the Optimized for GeForce logo in the stereoscopic 3D window in the Nvidia control panel if everything is working as expected.

• 33 nflidia // Feb 24, 2013 at 07:21

Latest version (314.07) of 3D vision which is installed alongside same version of nVidia’s display driver seems to break this. Going back to an older version of just the 3D vision driver (eg from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\310.90\Win8_WinVista_Win7\International\NV3DVision\3DVision_310.90.exe if you still have a local copy present) and then rebooting seems to fix this. You need to click yes to all of the replace-with-older-file warnings.

• 34 DukeR // Feb 27, 2013 at 07:14

Hi. I have an LG 42LM3400 3d tv. I use the hack and get 60 hz 1080p 3d, witch is very noticeable on Assassins Creed 3 (up from 30/24 hz 1080p). The thing is that on AC3 and Max Payne 3 (haven’t tryed other games) there is a VERY noticeable ghosting between eyes, is this because of the pasive 3d or am i seeing some other problem?
    Thanks.

• 35 dirk diggler // Mar 23, 2013 at 23:37

Hi,

First of all, thanks alot for this guide – I tried many, many options for this, but it still doesn’t work properly. My setup:

LG LM42 760s (I believe it’s similar to the 7600 or 760t in other countries)
    Geforce GTX 560Ti

I tried:
    OPTION 1:
    – the monitor drivers here as well as a tailor-made one from here: http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2042
    what works with this: 3d is displaying properly ingame (tested Battlefield 3 and it looks great!)
    what doesnt work: the keyboard shortcut function in the NVIDIA control panel is grayed out, resulting in a very annoying green info ingame at the bottom right corner about the 3d version that’s currently running (you’re supposed to make it go away with ctrl alt insert, but since the option for keyboard shortcut is greyed out, the keyboard shortcut doesn’t work).

OPTION 2:
    I also tried the driver submitted here http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2288
    What works: the keyboard shortcut function in the NVIDIA control panel isn’t greyed out, resulting in the ability to use the keyboard shortcut and therefore making the annoying green info at the bottom right ingame disappear with the shortcut
    What doesn’t work: Something (probably L/R) still seems inverted. I unfortunately cannot go through the nvidia 3dtv setup process again to make this work, and changing the “InterleavePattern0” and “ff00ff00” to both “ff00ff00” or “00ff00ff” doesn’t help either.

I’m a bit frustrated after two days of forum-readings, so your help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance!

• 36 vittorio // Apr 6, 2013 at 15:36

I have updated nvidia driver from 310.90 to 314.22 and this is still working using the Acer EDID override driver.

• 37 Ed // Apr 25, 2013 at 09:03

I got a 42″ LG Cinema 3D display at Xmas. Before that I had read that for Nvidia 3D I would need a ‘special’ (expensive) approved monitor with 120Hz, I would need to upgrade my rig to SLi, PCI3.o and and…So I had no intentions of using my LG for 3D gaming. Recently I became curious over 3D gaming again, I had checked out 1Z3d and TriDEF etc. and kinda resigned myself that 3D gaming was either only partially functional and too expensive. THEN and came across this BLOG and this particular ARTICLE!! I followed each step and was BLOWN AWAY with Batman AC!!! My little 2COREDUO machine with GeForce 9800GT works like a dream! Batman AC looks like another game entirely!!! AMAZING stuff!!! Thank you so much!!! Kudos to Butmuncher!!!

• 38 rodrigo // May 6, 2013 at 22:00

Gracias, me funcionó correctamente…. excelente…. escribiré por si surgen dudas ….. adios

• 39 Adriano Baptista // Jul 24, 2013 at 21:31

Tks man for this!!!
    Help me a lot!!

• 40 Dalek // Aug 3, 2013 at 17:49

Anyone got this working on OpenGL (Quad-buffered) games using the latest i.e. > 314.xx Geforce drivers (which now finally support 3D OpenGL on 120Hz 3dVision). It seems only frame-packed worked, Zalman-type modes and even anaglyph fail

• 41 jerk // Sep 9, 2013 at 00:06

Where are the instructions on how to override the INF EDID thing

• 42 jerk // Sep 9, 2013 at 00:26

I was able to successfully override the EDID and now NVIDIA displays as interlaced. The “test stereoscopic 3d” works. However, even after checking “enable stereoscopic 3d”, when I launch games there is no 3d, only 2d. What is the step I am missing

• 43 Bloody // Sep 9, 2013 at 11:32

Did you try hitting CTRL +T? This is the key combination to enable/disable the 3D mode in a game.

• 44 payne8 // Sep 13, 2013 at 08:19

This works like a charm with the latest drivers as of 2013-09-12 on an ASUS VG23A using the Zalman override in windows 7.

• 45 Rodrigo // Sep 15, 2013 at 10:30

hi, the lg dm2350d passive didnt need this trick its drivers should work too. :)

• 46 André // Nov 2, 2013 at 22:21

So, D2343 works alright after the registry modifications. I tried TriDef before, though, and I found the 3D effect more pronouncing. Not sure why. Maybe because it was night, and I could see the screen better. The nvidia solution is very much more efficient, though, and allows me to play with no lag, so I’m sticking with it regardless. Thanks!!!

• 47 Paul // Nov 8, 2013 at 04:05

Hey everyone, I know this is an old workaround, but I have a question. Knowing nothing about 3D before I bought it, and having no clue there was even such a thing as active 3D or passive 3D, I purchased a new gaming laptop and an external monitor (for PS3 and PC gaming in the office). The monitor is a passive one: The Asus VG27AH, and the 3D on the monitor works all right, I guess. Nothing really jaw dropping, but then I guess you get what you pay for, right? :)

Anyway, when ordering the monitor, I had no idea that NVidia’s 3D Vision only worked with certain monitors and that with passive monitors like mine, not supported by NVivia 3D Vison that I was basically on my own.

However, my two questions about this wirkaround are:

1. Will it work with my monitor (VG27AH)?

2. Honestly, is it even worth bothering with? I assume I have to buy the Nvidia 3D Vision 2 kit with emitter and glasses, plus the software needed it a paid software…though, since I have a GeForce 770m GPU on my laptop, I think I may not have to buy the software. Still, what is the real world difference with passie 3D, not driven by NVidia’s software, and what I might expect from this workaround, which looks like it will cost me more than the monitor I bought? in short, is it worth bothering with this in terms of 3D quality? Or is the workaround a fool’s errand? :)

Thanks!

• 48 Bloody // Nov 8, 2013 at 12:34

You don’t need to buy anything extra for this to work on a passive 3D monitor, you just need to install the EDID override driver. Is it worth it, well you should try and see for yourself.

• 49 gothmessiah // Dec 24, 2013 at 16:43

For those LG TV users with ghosting problems, i found a solution, just lower or rise your Sharpness (mine is set to 20)

I could not believe it but it works, zero ghosting.

• 50 gothmessiah // Dec 24, 2013 at 16:45

I meant Gray ghosting by the way