3D Vision Blog

A normal user's look into the world of 3D Stereo Technologies

3D Vision Blog header image 2

Make Your Passive 3D Monitor or 3D HDTV Work with 3D Vision

February 11th, 2012 · 184 Comments · GeForce 3D Vision

Not that long ago Nvidia has introduced their “Optimized for Geforce” program that allows some certified passive 3D monitors such as Acer HR274H and Acer GR235HA to work with the 3D Vision video drivers, allowing you to use the full 3D Vision functionality with a passive 3D display. Prior to that in the old stereoscopic 3D drivers Nvidia had support for passive 3D monitors from Zalman, and although the newer Zaman 3D monitors were bundled with the iZ3D driver and not anymore with 3D Vision, they actually do work with 3D Vision and get optimized for the Optimized for GeForce functionality. If you have a passive 3D LCD monitor or even a passive 3D HDTV that is not supported by 3D Vision (Optimized for GeForce) you can actually quite easily make it work by installing a monitor driver with EDID override that will tell Windows and the video drivers that you actually have a different compatible display.

Here is an example using LG’s D2343P passive 3D monitor with installed Zalman ZM-M240W 3D Monitor EDID Override and the LG gets recognized as a Zalman 3D monitor. You need to install the INF driver from the link over the monitor driver you currently have installed from the Windows Device Manager, using the Have Disk option and if when get a warning message just confirm that you want the driver installed anyway. After that you may have to restart Windows in order for things to start working and the Nvidia video drivers to be able to properly recognize and activate the 3D support.

Opening the Nvidia Control Panel and going to the Stereoscopic 3D settings page you should see the “Optimized for GeForce” logo if everything is working properly and clicking the Test Stereoscopic 3D button should bring the Nvidia 3D test on the screen that should be working just fine when you put on the passive 3D glasses that came with the monitor. After that you can the 3D Vision Photo and Video Player and even play games in stereo 3D mode just like you would with an active 3D display and with the 3D Vision glasses. Of course using passive 3D would mean that you would have some limitations like the half vertical resolution when in 3D mode, the lower vertical viewing angle etc., but still you will be able to use passive 3D displays with your Nvidia graphics card and with all the features that 3D Vision offers, an not only with the iZ3D or the DDD TriDef 3D drivers, so you will simply have one more alternative available. I’ve tested this method and it works just fine even with the latest 295.51 beta video drivers from Nvidia, so you should have no trouble making it work. If you try this on your passive 3D setup, feel free to share your feedback and how it works with your specific 3D hardware, thanks to Butmuncher for finding out about this method.

Update: Since the Zalman EDID override does not support audio for HDMI connection to the monitor, you should use this driver only for DVI connection to the passive 3D display. If you wan to use HDMI connection and have audio over the interface as well, then you should install the Acer EDID override driver. Both INF files are included in the archive below, and special thanks to Greg Gilbert for providing the dump from the Acer HR274H display.

Here you can download the EDID override INF files that you would need for this to work…

Tags: ········

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shii // Feb 20, 2012 at 16:37

@Hugezilla
    I`m not sure about SBS in 3DTV Play because I didn`t try it. My GeForce 9600GT don`t support 3DTV Play. But, as I know, Nvidia drivers supports only frame-packing mode with 3DTV Play (720p60 for games and 1080p24 for video) Correct me if I wrong.

Well… About SBS and interleaved. For passive TV ideal will be anamorph overunder and frame-packing (hdmi 1.4) mode.
    With anamorph side-by-side you`ll lost some information from image because it rendered in 960×1080 for each eye, BUT when TV mixes this images to one fullhd 3d image what you get? TV stretches both 960×1080 images to 1920×1080 AND cuts half lines from both of them (we can show only 540 lines per eye at passive TV`s, remember?) so we got only 960×540 per eye!
    Anamorph overunder looks better because we outputting 1920×560 for each eye and no lines get lost. Lines just alternates and you got 1920×560 per eye.
    Frame-packing works same way – you got 1920×560 per eye.
    Interleaved looks fine too, BUT due to LG colorbug I can`t use it for now.

For active 120Hz TV best option – using frame-packing, then you got 1920×1080 per eye.
    Anamorph side-by-side and anamorph overunder gives you halved resolution.

For now I using anamorph overunder for films and side-by-side for games because Tridef don`t support anamorph overunder mode.

• 2 Max // Feb 20, 2012 at 23:27

Shii:
    have you tried:
    turning on 2d>3d and turning the depth down to 0?

• 3 Shii // Feb 21, 2012 at 00:00

@Max
    Yes, it eliminates colorbugs but TV constantly changes depth of view even with depth down to 0 and I got black bars at left and ride side of the screen.

• 4 Max // Feb 21, 2012 at 09:26

Change depth when set to 0?? Interesting.
    Eventually: do you recommend 42LW4500 or should i stay away from it, when want to use 3d vision in 1080/60 interleaved and play my videos in Stereoscopic Player row interleaved mode? I can now buy for very good price.

• 5 Shii // Feb 21, 2012 at 10:33

@Max
    No, I don`t recommend any passive LG TV`s for interleaved input at the moment. Better get another passive brand.
    It only plays anamorph overunder and anamorph sbs videos perfectly in any player without colorbugs.

• 6 Max // Feb 21, 2012 at 11:02

Thanks :-(

Somebody have luck, somebody not?

• 7 Shii // Feb 21, 2012 at 21:59

WOW, just WOW! I`ve started from scratch, deleted all video drivers examined problem step by step and COMPLETLY eliminated LG colorbug in interleaved mode!
    What I did.
    1) Overrided edid as I wrote here AND deleted extension block – that removes huge amount of colorbug, but not completly.
    2) Reinstalled nvidia drivers and overrided edid in them too. Google “HDMI: How to disable?” in official nvidia forums, read it completly and do nessesary instructions. (I changed registy and modifyed nvidia driver installer too)
    3) Did LG settings trick, described in thread “3dvision interleaved 3d working on any passive 3dtv!” on mtbs3d forum (google it too) and COMPLETLY eliminated any colorbugs! Now picture looks perfect in interleaved mode and I can use acer or zalman PnP edid to play games in 1080p60 with reversed glasses.

• 8 Max // Feb 21, 2012 at 22:56

Very-very great! I just buyed the LW5500, it will come on friday, i will write if the trick also work by me.

thanks!

• 9 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 01:06

@Shii : Did it exactly like your second tut,its not working sorry.
    I tried everything,dunno whats wrong.

• 10 Shii // Feb 22, 2012 at 07:40

Maybe I`ll capture the video of process later. I don`t know, why my second tutorial didn`t help you.

• 11 Max // Feb 22, 2012 at 10:01

I’ll become the TV tomorrow, i think i can do your trick, but yes, for many users a simple video tutorial would be very good.
    thx

• 12 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 13:14

@ Shii : would it be ok for you if i send you my inf and you try it,please?

• 13 Shii // Feb 22, 2012 at 13:20

@Tom Yum 72
    Ok, upload it, and post link, please.

• 14 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 13:34

Great,thank you. Give me a moment,i will upload it.

• 15 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 13:48

Here it is :

There are 2 folders inside: First “installation” is the one from the disc i get with my monitor,second is my inf i just created with moninfo.
    Again,thank you for helping me out.

• 16 Shii // Feb 22, 2012 at 15:25

Fixed inf with acer id. Remove any custom edid overrides before installation and reboot after install complete. You should install this over Generic PNP Monitor device.

• 17 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 16:11

Thank you, i appreciate it. I will try it and give you feedback.
    Just to be clear: This is my inf “mixed” with the acer inf,right?

• 18 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 22, 2012 at 18:39

After a short test i have to say that everything works perfect so far.
    i will test more and give you feedback again.
    Big thanks again

• 19 Shii // Feb 22, 2012 at 19:46

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2042 posted very very very detailed manual about investigating and fixind LG colorbug.

• 20 Max // Feb 22, 2012 at 21:05

Shii: thank you! will test tomorrow with lw5500

• 21 Max // Feb 26, 2012 at 13:00

Finally got it.
    Picture is beautiful, 3D works but only in isf1 mode, and have big input lag. I turned off every enhancement.
    In game mode lag is acceptable, but i cannot eliminate ghosting.
    WTF? I want both!

• 22 John // Mar 5, 2012 at 21:34

I’ve try this in my Windows 7 and it work flawless!

But one thing that still made my self wondering, why this EDID Mod inf doesn’t work with my Daughter PC with Windows XP SP3?
    The monitor name changed inside windows device manager, but inside NVCP its still recognize as LG TV :( ……

Please, can someone help explains this to me?

Cheers!

• 23 ryan // Mar 8, 2012 at 10:55

have samsung SA700D have been trying to get nvidia vision to work all day long…

• 24 vegas // Apr 8, 2012 at 17:36

Hello
    I have viewsonic V3D231 (passive)
    and I have nvidia 3D vision 2 glasses

I want to model it to a active monitor
    but it always tell me that the frequence is too high.

can I modified it to use the active glasses by using the passive monitor???

thanks

• 25 Bloody // Apr 8, 2012 at 18:01

There is no way to make a passive 3D monitor work with the 3D Vision 2 active 3D glasses…

• 26 Bal // Apr 29, 2012 at 12:17

Anybody knows that the drivers benefit from the lower resolution? With current passive technique, you get half of the vertical lines for each frame. But this also means that in theory the driver needs to render a frame of 1920×540 for each eye, instead of 1920×1080 with the 120 Hz active solutions.

In theory, this means a lower burden on the card, and a higher fps drop in games (perhaps even close to the one without 3D enabled).

• 27 Bal // Apr 29, 2012 at 12:18

Sorry I meant a higher fps without ‘drop’.

• 28 RAJ // May 8, 2012 at 20:07

Thanks, NVidia says my passive Philips TV was supported but I only got 3D effects once I installed the Acer driver. Looks great, good tutorial for advanced users, leaves people with less experience in the dust though. Thanks a lot!

• 29 nofx333 // May 16, 2012 at 16:11

Big Thanks!
    Worked for me on my LG DM2350D-PZ, used the Acer HR274H 3D Monitor EDID Override.

• 30 Drmos // Jun 19, 2012 at 23:32

guys i have bought a new 3d monitor ( acer GR235H ) but my graphic card doest not reconize my monitor what must i do ??

could some one help me plz ???

• 31 Bloody // Jun 20, 2012 at 12:39

Drmos, what model is your video card?

• 32 Drmos // Jun 20, 2012 at 23:31

asus GTX 550 TI

• 33 tide // Jun 23, 2012 at 02:40

How do you remove this EDID override?

The 3d effect is great, but now I’d like to change back again.
    Because when I wanted to play in smaller resolution it said that format wasn’t supported, althought I played in that resolution with my old driver before.

So I just tried to go back to my former driver, which didn’t revert my monito back to philips but to PNP or something..
    Then I tried to simply deinstall the driver, and then the monitor was gone from the list altogether. -_-

But at the resulution screen it’s still shown as an Acer274H.

So, could anybody please give me a noob guide in how to remove this EDID Override?

I’ve got the slight feeling I made a BIG mistake with that…

Thanks allot for your time, guys! I really appreciate any help!

Cheers!

• 34 tide // Jun 23, 2012 at 02:47

edit: wow I just plugged out/and in the monitor again and gladly it automaticaly turned back to Philips…

Everything works again, the resolution aswell…

I know I sound like the biggest rooky here, but I’m REALLY glad that everything is fine again. :D

cheers!

• 35 Bloody // Jun 23, 2012 at 11:37

Normally uninstalling the EDID override driver from the Device Manager and then doing a right click and “Scan for Hardware Changes” does the trick without having to unplug the monitor physically.

• 36 Drmos // Jun 24, 2012 at 18:30

guys can i get some awnsers.

my video card does not reconize my minitor as a 3d monitor ( GR235H) . (video card model nvidia geforce GTX 550 TI asus version) and here is a picture of my 3d settings page on nvidia control panel.

Link to the picture : http://www.freeimagehosting.net/wv5rp

i hope i will get awnser this time

• 37 Bloody // Jun 25, 2012 at 18:26

Drmos, this happens after you install an EDID override driver or?

Without using the method above you’d probably need the 3DTV Play software to make the monitor work in stereo 3D mode with your video card as it is not officially supported model by 3D Vision.

• 38 Drmos // Jun 25, 2012 at 18:54

witch video cards are officially supported for 3d vision and where can i download the EDID override driver

and thx for the reaction

• 39 Drmos // Jun 25, 2012 at 19:53

bloody i have tested the 3dtv play but it does not work

• 40 Bloody // Jun 26, 2012 at 21:35

• 41 wafflekoala // Jul 23, 2012 at 09:08

I can’t get this to work at all. Whenever I go through device manager to install it I get all the way to where I browse for the file, I select it, hit open, and the window just flashes and makes an error sound.

How do I fix this?

• 42 jimmy75 // Aug 1, 2012 at 15:15

I can’t install it with latest nvidia beta drivers.With official 301.42 worked perfectly.

• 43 Bloody // Aug 1, 2012 at 15:20

It does not work with the Zalman, the Acer or both EDID overrides?

• 44 jimmy75 // Aug 1, 2012 at 15:28

both

• 45 jimmy75 // Aug 1, 2012 at 15:35

iI have this message sorry for my english. The folder you specified does not contain compatible driver.Make sure compatible driver that is designed for systems x64

• 46 jeremy // Aug 16, 2012 at 17:40

my “eyes” seem to be backwards, is their a way to resolve this?

• 47 jeremy // Aug 16, 2012 at 17:41

er, reversed i should say

• 48 Bloody // Aug 16, 2012 at 20:38

You should check this: http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2288

• 49 Sanna // Sep 9, 2012 at 13:46

Tried on my LG D2342 and I must say the performance of the Nvidia 3d video player is much better than that of Tridef .
    Haven’t tried any games yet,but it seems gaming performance will be better too!!
    Thx a lot.

• 50 seb // Sep 10, 2012 at 23:58

hello,

I have a laptop : toshiba qosmio f50 (nvidia 9700m gts) with an acer GD245HQ. The probleme is that i can use the 3d only with DVI cable.
    So I bought a HDMI/DVI connector …
    But now I don’t know and understand how to configure a new EDID to use the 3D …
    Can you help me ?