3D Vision Blog

A normal user's look into the world of 3D Stereo Technologies

3D Vision Blog header image 2

Make Your Passive 3D Monitor or 3D HDTV Work with 3D Vision

February 11th, 2012 · 184 Comments · GeForce 3D Vision

Not that long ago Nvidia has introduced their “Optimized for Geforce” program that allows some certified passive 3D monitors such as Acer HR274H and Acer GR235HA to work with the 3D Vision video drivers, allowing you to use the full 3D Vision functionality with a passive 3D display. Prior to that in the old stereoscopic 3D drivers Nvidia had support for passive 3D monitors from Zalman, and although the newer Zaman 3D monitors were bundled with the iZ3D driver and not anymore with 3D Vision, they actually do work with 3D Vision and get optimized for the Optimized for GeForce functionality. If you have a passive 3D LCD monitor or even a passive 3D HDTV that is not supported by 3D Vision (Optimized for GeForce) you can actually quite easily make it work by installing a monitor driver with EDID override that will tell Windows and the video drivers that you actually have a different compatible display.

Here is an example using LG’s D2343P passive 3D monitor with installed Zalman ZM-M240W 3D Monitor EDID Override and the LG gets recognized as a Zalman 3D monitor. You need to install the INF driver from the link over the monitor driver you currently have installed from the Windows Device Manager, using the Have Disk option and if when get a warning message just confirm that you want the driver installed anyway. After that you may have to restart Windows in order for things to start working and the Nvidia video drivers to be able to properly recognize and activate the 3D support.

Opening the Nvidia Control Panel and going to the Stereoscopic 3D settings page you should see the “Optimized for GeForce” logo if everything is working properly and clicking the Test Stereoscopic 3D button should bring the Nvidia 3D test on the screen that should be working just fine when you put on the passive 3D glasses that came with the monitor. After that you can the 3D Vision Photo and Video Player and even play games in stereo 3D mode just like you would with an active 3D display and with the 3D Vision glasses. Of course using passive 3D would mean that you would have some limitations like the half vertical resolution when in 3D mode, the lower vertical viewing angle etc., but still you will be able to use passive 3D displays with your Nvidia graphics card and with all the features that 3D Vision offers, an not only with the iZ3D or the DDD TriDef 3D drivers, so you will simply have one more alternative available. I’ve tested this method and it works just fine even with the latest 295.51 beta video drivers from Nvidia, so you should have no trouble making it work. If you try this on your passive 3D setup, feel free to share your feedback and how it works with your specific 3D hardware, thanks to Butmuncher for finding out about this method.

Update: Since the Zalman EDID override does not support audio for HDMI connection to the monitor, you should use this driver only for DVI connection to the passive 3D display. If you wan to use HDMI connection and have audio over the interface as well, then you should install the Acer EDID override driver. Both INF files are included in the archive below, and special thanks to Greg Gilbert for providing the dump from the Acer HR274H display.

Here you can download the EDID override INF files that you would need for this to work…

Tags: ········

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Stuart // Feb 11, 2012 at 16:26

This works, but has consequently removed the HDMI audio function from my AOC e2352Phz monitor, even after I reinstalled the original driver that came with my monitor! Anyone have any idea how to get it back? I’ve also tried re-installing the Nvidia drivers to no avail :(

• 2 Max // Feb 11, 2012 at 16:38

Great, so this will also work with 42″ LG Cinema3D TV?
    I plan to buy this.
    Somebody knows how far can i view this tv without seeing unpleasing horizontal lines? So when just disappears.
    thx

• 3 Stuart // Feb 11, 2012 at 16:50

Ok I figured it out, I had to go into my device manager and uninstall and delete the monitor driver then restart.

Max I checked out a passive LG TV the other day and the crosstalk was absolutely horrendous. Not sure which model it was though.

• 4 Bloody // Feb 11, 2012 at 18:51

Yes, unfortunately there is no audio over HDMI with the EDID override INF driver, you need to output the audio through the PC’s sound card.

• 5 Keanan Smith // Feb 11, 2012 at 21:34

Has anyone tried this with the iZ3D Monitor?

• 6 Bloody // Feb 11, 2012 at 22:47

This will not work with the iZ3D monitor as it is nor a traditional passive 3D solution, the iZ3D monitor needs a special type of input to work in 3D mode.

• 7 bl1nds1de13 // Feb 12, 2012 at 02:30

Max, first I agree with Stuart and think the passives look pretty lousy in comparison to a good active 3dtv. But if you have to have one, you figure you have to be twice as far away as an active tv has been my experience.

Second, I do not see how this would work with an HDTV like the LG cinema3d set…. they only accept 1.4 FP or side/side top/bottom, etc. depending on the set…
    The monitors, though 1080P, accept the frame by frame input.

I could see getting the inf file for a DLP TV and getting a 3Dtv that supports checkerboard for a workaround for this. This would be far more compatible than using nvidia 3dtv play.

• 8 Stuart // Feb 12, 2012 at 04:48

Bloody, do you have any idea if it would be possible (and I really have no idea what I’m talking about here) to take the audio part of the edid for my aoc monitor and put it into the edid override driver, combining the two so it has audio but I can still use the passive 3D?

• 9 3dv // Feb 12, 2012 at 05:53

This basically convinces me to try using the LG D2342P-PN with an NVIDIA Quadro card under Linux. I’m hoping that Option “Stereo” “7” will do the trick. I’ve already tested it on a non-3D monitor with 1920×1200@50Hz, and it seems to interleave the lines from quad-buffered OpenGL just fine. I can’t see why it wouldn’t do the same for the LG monitor. My only concern was that the LG wasn’t somehow really line interleaved. This blog post reassures me that it is, just like the Zalman that the nvidia driver already claims to support.

One bummer about the monitor is that it doesn’t take analog audio in, only HDMI. I have a non-audio-capable Quadro FX 4600 (the only linux-3D-capable NVIDIA card I could find under $100). However, I envision two solutions, both of which probably apply to Stuart as well:

1. Get a DVI+audio -> HDMI converter. E.g., monoprice.com has one for about $40.

2. Get a cheap set of cheap powered speakers with a subwoofer, maybe $20 for stereo or $40 for 5.1.

Option 2 is more cost effective and will produce better sound, while option 1 will create a lot less clutter on my desk. In my case, the price is easily justified as the cheapest HDMI Quadro is several hundred dollars more than the FX 4600 I got.

• 10 Bloody // Feb 12, 2012 at 13:43

Stuart, you can try to… here is what you need:

Monitor Asset Manager – http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

It would be good if anyone with Acer HR274H or Acer GR235HA could export the INF EDID override with the above program and post it here as it might resolve the audio support over HDMI problem…

bl1nds1de13, here is an EDID override file that should enable the 3D Vision checkerboard mode: http://uploading.com/files/923ee48d/3dvision%2Bcheckerboard.inf/

• 11 Stuart // Feb 12, 2012 at 18:42

Thanks Bloody, but I tried and failed. I ended up having to use three programs… EDID Manager, MonInfo and Phoenix EDID Designer, but every time I tried adding the “extended” part of the EDID where I believe the audio information is kept, it would enable audio but then it would no longer recognise it as being 3DVision compatable.

Here is the link to my attempt for anyone wanting a look to see if I’ve made any obvious errors:

And here’s the default AOC edid for my passive 3D montior with audio (but no 3DVision)

• 12 Greg Gilbert // Feb 12, 2012 at 19:49

For what it’s worth. Here is my exported INF EDID from my Acer HR274H. BTW: A lot of LG TVs have crosstalk in natural interleaved. I get around mine by turning on 2d>3d and turning the depth down to 0.

• 13 Max // Feb 12, 2012 at 20:42

Bloody: you know if this will work with 42″ LG Cinema3D TV?

• 14 Mario // Feb 13, 2012 at 00:57

Im looking for a brandnew 27″ 3D Monitor for PC gaming via DVI.
    Im using a GTX 580.
    Whats the best option?
    An active or passive one?

• 15 Bloody // Feb 13, 2012 at 03:14

Greg, thanks for this, you’ve saved the day… ;)

With the Acer EDID override driver you also get audio over the HDMI interface. I’ve updated the archive to include both the Zalman and Acer INF files, so you should use the Zalman for DVI connection to the display and the Acer for HDMI with audio.

Mario, I’d recommend you to take a look at the Asus VG278H and Acer HN274H B, they are both active and designed for use with 3D Vision… that is unless you have some trouble when using active 3D, then you may want to consider some of the passive 3D alternatives.

• 16 Stuart // Feb 13, 2012 at 05:48

Alright! The audio is working! Thanks everyone :)

• 17 KashunatoR // Feb 13, 2012 at 16:18

question: can I enable 3d vision on my samsung s27a950d monitor? I use a gtx 580 and i plan to get the gtx 680…
    I will be waiting for an answer…
    thanks a lot

• 18 Max // Feb 13, 2012 at 16:34

Can i enable 3D vision on a LG 42LW4500 TV?
    I will buy, if yes.

• 19 Bloody // Feb 13, 2012 at 17:14

KashunatoR, with this method you cannot, it is for passive 3D monitors only.

Max, it will probably work, but would be better for somebody with that model to try it first to make sure.

• 20 Greg Gilbert // Feb 13, 2012 at 17:19

Max: The LG’s have a better picture compared to the Vizios & Toshiba passives but have a high input lag which makes gaming on them not that good. I have the LG 65 inch passive and the LG TVs also have crosstalk when using native interleaved. You’ll want to use native interleave on a passive because this means the monitor doesn’t have to process the image as much which will cut down on input lag. If you are going to game on them considerably, I would consider the Toshiba or maybe the Vizio’s at Walmart, both have less input lag. I am more certain of that last statement with the Toshiba’s than I am with the Vizios. The horizontal lines being visible at close distance is highly subjective and also more visible on lighter colors. On a game that is using dark colors you can’t even really see them. Best to just go to the store and see what you are comfortable with.

• 21 Max // Feb 13, 2012 at 17:23

Thanks Greg,
    i read that when gaming with LG you have to switch off every TV special function, so the input lag will acceptable.
    Anyway, i rarely will play games, i ask because of 3dvision support while video editing.

• 22 Butmuncher // Feb 14, 2012 at 09:26

How rude!
    No mention of original finder of this mod, tut tut , please give credit where it’s due!

• 23 Butmuncher // Feb 14, 2012 at 09:28

This is the post to the finder of teh mod, me ;), very rude indeed!

• 24 Bloody // Feb 14, 2012 at 11:20

Sorry, did not know you were the original founder of this method, fixed. :)

• 25 Butmuncher // Feb 14, 2012 at 14:26

Thanks Bloody.

• 26 MajkelVoc // Feb 15, 2012 at 01:31

I have a problem with installation “from disk” gives me information that I have to make sure the driver works on the x64-what to do. I have a Acer monitor GR235h.

• 27 Bloody // Feb 15, 2012 at 01:42

Do you mean the warning message, just click install anyway…

• 28 MajkelVoc // Feb 15, 2012 at 02:02

i have windows 7 64 bit and and I do so, enter Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Device Manager, action, add the older equipment, next, install the hardware that I manually select from a list, show all devices from your … Then choose the file Zalman 3D monitor EDID Override and jumps words I need to make sure that the driver runs on x64 architecture. and remains the only option is ok

• 29 Bloody // Feb 15, 2012 at 03:14

So you are selecting the “Add legacy hardware”, but why?

Just double click on the monitor driver for the list you get in the Device Manager and select driver update…

• 30 MajkelVoc // Feb 15, 2012 at 14:11

helped. unless everything is working just is not optimized for nvidia icon gegorce and the effect of the Battlefield 3 is terrible at depths> 10 it is clear that the images do not overlap. Even so, thanks :)

• 31 giannis // Feb 16, 2012 at 02:48

what graphic card is better for
    1 3d movie playback
    2 3d pc gaming e.x. Battlefield 3 3D
    3 display on lg 3d cinema tv
    Ati 6450 or msi gt430 ( nvidia 3d vision ready ) ?

• 32 Bloody // Feb 16, 2012 at 11:47

Neither the 6450, nor the 430 are video cards suitable for gaming even in not stereoscopic 3D mode, let alone in stereo 3D mode, let alone playing BF3 in stereo 3D. These are low end GPUs, for gaming you should consider something in the mid-range at least…

• 33 giannis // Feb 16, 2012 at 22:24

Man thank you for the info !

The thing i want to know is :
    Does 3d performance (gaming 3D) is better on pc than xbox 360 on lg passive 3dtv ?

If yes i will go on with the buy of msi 6770 DDR5 i think it is good enough and support a crossfire connection right ?

Waiting for your reply

• 34 Shii // Feb 17, 2012 at 07:59

Currently developing more clear way to override display EDID with changing only some bytes needed to activate nvidia passive 3d mode and without loosing original display resolutions and audio. Will update status soon.

• 35 Shii // Feb 17, 2012 at 20:01

Ok, easy manual.
    1. Save your TV edid with moninfo as inf file.
    2. Open edid override inf from another monitor, like Acer, Zalman or any other mon in text editor and copy first 10 bytes after EDID header. For example in Acer EDID you can see
    so, just copy 0x04,0x72,0xB9,0x02,0x62,0x8E,0x10,0x14,0x29,0x15 and replace your exported TV EDID bytes with this one.
    Example:
    My LG LW4500 before editing was:
    HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,”0″,0x01,0x00,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0x00,0x1E,0x6D,0x01,0x00,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x15,0x01,0x03,
    after changing bytes it should look like this:
    HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,”0″,0x01,0x00,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0x00,0x04,0x72,0xB9,0x02,0x62,0x8E,0x10,0x14,0x29,0x15,0x01,0x03,
    3. If you want to disable extension block, just change penultimate base edid byte from 0x01 to 0x00
    4. Save changes, open this file in Moninfo (it should alert checksum error) and save it again as inf.
    5. You are ready to install that new file and override you monitor EDID in clean way. :)

P.S. Don`t forget to reboot PC after installing overrided edid or nvidia drivers may not notice monitor edid change.
    P.P.S. Always delete modded monitor driver and reboot before installing new modded driver!

• 36 Shii // Feb 17, 2012 at 20:03

For #3 of course you must delete Extension block if you disabled it.

• 37 giannis // Feb 17, 2012 at 22:07

So i very confussed ,
    I read for days on the internet about 3d capibality on pc but icant figure this out,

I have a passive lg 3d tv
    And i dont know a way to see 3d content ( sbs movies mkv )
    Today i bought an ati 6450 2gb gpu hd3d capable, just to be able to watch these movies,but with every player that i played them was horrible at 3d .
    do i need an extra software ?
    Should i return this card and buy another of nvidia..
    How can i play them?
    Do i need an extra software?( 3dtv play)

Please answer if u are sure enough, cause i have some trouble here…

Giannis

• 38 Bloody // Feb 17, 2012 at 22:20

No need for special drivers for 3D video playback, but you may need a special 3D video player, you can try with Stereoscopic Player set to output the video in Row Interlaced mode.

Or you can just play 3D videos in Side by Side or Over/Under format with a normal video player and manually select the corresponding 3D mode from the TV set.

• 39 giannis // Feb 17, 2012 at 22:50

Hi
    Name me one or two stereoscopic players
    I tried to play mkv sbs files with this gpu and turn on 3d mode with 3d button on remote and the picture was horrible
    How can ifix that?

• 40 giannis // Feb 19, 2012 at 04:41

Hi there !

Is the 3d gaming on pc good excellent or bad on a lg passive 3d display.and what gpu do i need to have to have a good 3d video experience?
    Is pc 3d gaming Any better than xbox 360 3d?

• 41 jhonny // Feb 19, 2012 at 13:11

Hi
    I want to buy a LG lw4500. Will i able to play bf3 in 3d on that set? Will be an amd 6850 enough to run bf3 in 3d 1920x1080p?

Anyone have experience with gaming on that set?

• 42 giannis // Feb 19, 2012 at 18:47

No i have no experiene ..
    but i think u should reconsider about the passive 3d.

• 43 Hugezilla // Feb 19, 2012 at 18:51

@Shii

– thanks for the inf guide, but somehow it will not work – i `ve got the same tv (lg 55lw4500) and i only wont the acer passive profile including my pcm sound over the av-receiver.

Can you please send me your created inf file??

• 44 Tom Yum 72 // Feb 19, 2012 at 18:58

@Shii
    From me too a huge thanks for the guide,but,same here,it wont work. i made everything step by step, i got a lg d2542p-pn monitor.
    Dunno what went wrong.

• 45 Shii // Feb 19, 2012 at 21:05

@Hugezilla, @Tom Yum 72
    After some research, found more easy way to do this. Can you try this new manual?
    0. Uninstall any custom TV Edid overrides (don`t forget to check “Delete driver files”) and reboot. You should now see your TV in device manages as “Universal Monitor PnP”
    1. Save your TV edid with Moninfo as inf file and open this file in Moninfo.
    2. Disable Read-only by clicking “Edit/Read-only”
    3. Change 4 marked bytes http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7465/tvtoacerid.png to 04 72 B9 02
    4. Click “File/Create inf…” and save this file.
    5. Open you TV in device list, select Update driver and install this new inf. Reboot.
    6. Set you TV display as Primary display and check nvidia drivers – you should be able to enable interlaced stereo output now.

• 46 hugezilla // Feb 20, 2012 at 01:44

@shii

i finally made it, i ve modified the acer edid and got the full 7.1 pcm sound working, thx for the tipps, but i have to say that your guide is quite confusing, you have to thins ten times around to get it work :)

now there are other problems, (i have the lg 55lw4500 tv)

1. eye swapping? is there a possibility to swap the eyes by editing the edid for example?

2. ghosting, the lgs have a generell problem with ghosting in interleaved, so i have done this special youtube fix (carrying over the vaules) – the fix makes everything much more playable, but still there is minor ghosting, whats the perfect sharpness (or other) values for gettting rid of this minor ghosting?

kind regarda

• 47 Shii // Feb 20, 2012 at 08:04

@hugezilla
    1. No. You can`t swap eyes because it controlled by Nvidia driver. Nvidia just reads display PnP ID from EDID and enables passive mode for this display. We need to find another 3d vision certified passive hdmi 1.3 display with proper field order to get this work. Or you can disassemble nvidia 3d vision driver and fix it :)
    2. Sorry, I experience same troubles here. For now I using TriDef software in Side-by-Side mode for ghosting-free image.

• 48 Max // Feb 20, 2012 at 09:36

“the lgs have a generell problem with ghosting in interleaved”

I don’t understand this. Ghosting is more when native interleaven, than what? Is it less with SBS source? Why?
    LG’s are horizontal polarized, so you will see every 2nd lines with left eye, and eyery other lines with right eye, true?

Then how can the source affect the ghosting?

thx

• 49 Shii // Feb 20, 2012 at 11:34

@Max
    Because, when you use interleaved mode, your TV receives lines and just shows them with current settings.
    When you outputting side-by-side or overunder, you must press 3D button on tv remote and switch TV to special 3d mode with settings optimizied for 3d viewing.

It must be something wrong with TV settings, when 3D mode disabled, and it causes ghosting problem.

• 50 Hugezilla // Feb 20, 2012 at 15:42

@Shii

– thx again for your detailed explanation!

I really dislike Tridef, beacause of the poor gaming performance and some other issues – is there a way to enable SBS with 3DTV Play? – I have read, that checkerboard is possible – but again with quite a lot ghostig.

So your able to compare SBS and interleaved 3d – what would you say has got the better 3D effect? I`ve tested SBS with my consoles..but somehow..i dislike the 3D detph/quality. And btw…i really have to say that interleaved has got a great 3D effect, imagine playing at 1080p (passive resolution of course) and the 60hz is really worth the money ;) – if there werent this minor ghosting problem.

Has someone els got the same TV/configuration/problems ?? I think…somehow..with the perfect picture settings..it would be possible getting a quite perfect 3D image.